Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Both are nice. I want to do yellow 10 some day because the camo is so unique and a real challenge for my airbrushing skills.

Cory, not completely sure what you're referring to but it looks like Aires has given you the whole engine so the lower cowl and side walls back to the firewall could be removed but before you do, suggest you post a scan of the instructions.

Here's a better review:

Aires 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw-190D9 detail set

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Looks like a beautiful detail set Cory - wish I had it before I started my White 11. I did not keep a good pic of the fuselage before it was assembled but below is my interpretation of the cuts that are needed. It also appears that the horizontal surface under the gun cowl and in front of the windscreen needs to be cut out tot he edge of the fuselage. Know what I mean?

Dora cut 1.jpg

Dora cut 2.jpg

Edit: Went back up to Glenn's post and borrowed his pic. Hope you don't mind Glenn!

Dora cut 3.JPG

Last edited:
WOW Cory, that will be something!

I've spent some time looking around and come up with some possibilities. Blue 12 and Red 2 are at the top of my list right now.

AeroMasterLateDoras2 c.jpg
Eagle no 60-1.jpg
Eagle yellowTailD-9s c.jpg
EagleYellow10andFreinds c.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram Andy, and yes, I think I do know what you mean. It'll be interesting getting everything off the casting blocks! It's on Sprue Brothers for $60 if you want it for your Eduard one. :shock:

Nice choices Glenn, I personally like Black 11 at the top there.

I think I'm going to do Blue 2:

kd4803.jpg

fw190d9blue2.jpg

Glenn, Blue 12 has some excellent photo documentation to back up the scheme and features a nice variety of colours. Not so sure about that red 3 (I think you mean 3 not 2) as I think it's supposed to be black numbering.

Yellow 10 is a tough camo scheme and the one Lostinhull was thinking of doing. Personally, I like Blue 12.

EDIT: Crossed posts Cory. Blue 2 works. There's a nice profile in Crandall's book but that pic you posted is I believe, the only one of this rig.

Last edited:
Here's something I think everyone in this build can use. I found these pics on the website for the National Museum of the United Stated Air Force (Air Force Museum). It's the D-9 in their collection. Looks pretty original too. Now I just need to find some good wheel well shots.

061114-F-1234P-001.jpg
061114-F-1234P-002.jpg
061114-F-1234P-003.jpg
061114-F-1234P-004.jpg

Last edited:
it sure would be nice to get 5-8 victims, errrrrrrr, folks that is, on this build. So many choices, so damned much confusion on the later birds. Such a beautiful airframe. Man, I am soooooo looking forward to this one. Looks like the 1 Feb start date works for me, I still need to finish Shangri La.
Dale

The more the merrier! Early Dora camo was pretty straight forward. Later stuff gets weird.

The more the merrier! Early Dora camo was pretty straight forward. Later stuff gets weird.
No kidding! I've just spent the last hour looking into Blue 12 (or Black 12) WNr.500570 anyway, and my head is spinning. There is a fantastic amount of info out there on this aircraft and nobody seems to agree with anyone else about the colors. And there's even a color picture of it!

A few things that I've found...

Kagero, 13 - Operation Bodenplatte has Fw 190 D-9; W.Nr. 500093, 'Yellow 13', flown by Ogefr. Dieter Krägeloh of 3./JG 26, Fürstenau, 1 January 1945.

Also found this bird as WnNr. 601315(?) 'Black 13'... This aircraft crash landed in the Wessel area March 9 1945 after combat with Spitfires and P47s. The pilot Uffz. Fritz Hanusch suffered minor injuries. Unusually the aircraft has a Solid Black Fuselage cross. 'Black 13' Found by Canadian troops on April 11 1945 in a forest cutout near Hustedt/Celle. It was deliberately sabotaged by the retreating germans who collapsed the left landing gear leg to make it useless for the allies who would soon capture it.

D-9 W.Nr. 210176, 'White 13'. Gerhard Vogt was shot down and killed in the ensuing combat crashing with his Fw 190 D-9 (W.Nr. 210 176) "White 13" near Köln. Gerhard Vogt was credited with 48 victories in 174 missions. All his victories were recorded over the Western front and included eight four-engined bombers.

24/12/1944
Huy south east
Fw-190 D-9
WNr-600174
1./JG 26 'White 13'
Uffz Jesinger Wilhelm ( MIA )
P-38 367FG - 11H30

So are ya going to have a crack at Blue 12 Glenn...:D or something a little more straight forward....
I'm pretty sure I'm going with Blue 12 so I'll order the decals today. Black 11 is my second choice and is on the same decal sheet so I'll have a back-up plan in place.
There seems to be a wide range of opinions about the fuselage side color. Some have it a pail yellow. some a pail green that's almost like RAF interior color and others a pail blue. I like the yellow, that's what attracted me to this one in the first place, but looking at built models on the internet a lot of them look too yellow. I might have to mix it myself, maybe start out with RAF interior and adding yellow to it. The other colors seem to be standard RLM colors, but there doesn't seen to be agreement on which RLM colors.
:scratch:

It's been said that RAF Sky Type S is a close match for the pale greenish blue colour.

Jan, there's always red 13 of JV 44. There's also a red 13 of 12/JG54 WNr 210063 crashed Dec 29/44 due ti engine failure. No pics though.

It's been said that RAF Sky Type S is a close match for the pale greenish blue colour.
That color would be close for matching some of the profiles. I might add a little yellow to it. I'm going to spray the base color on the cockpit and wheel wells tonight if I have time. I know the cockpit is RLM 66, but I'm not sure of the wheel wells. RLM 02?

Jan, there's always red 13 of JV 44. There's also a red 13 of 12/JG54 WNr 210063 crashed Dec 29/44 due ti engine failure. No pics though.

True pal! Tempted to do that one, already have one in 1/48, but then, also very tempted to do Uffz Wilhelm Jesinger's, 1./JG26, Fw-190 D-9
W.Nr. 600174 as he's still MIA, after being shot down by P-38's from 367FG on the 24/12/44.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back