Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Had a look at some of Dan and Wayne's old threads and now have the wheel wells sorted out. Should have looked there in the first place instead of doing a google search.

There are some wheel well shots in the Squadron Walk Around, albeit they are not very good. I haven't had a chance to scan them yet, but PM me if you want them and when I'm able I'll send them. Might not be until tomorrow however!

EDIT: And I should have read Glenn's post first since he's not given us a more easy source. :oops:

ok, I will probably go with the markings shown below. Eduard instruction book claims this one was flown by Oblt Hans Dortenmann with IV./JG 26

Now, what about interior colors? Cockpit, the wheel bay, radiator, etc. The Eduard kit calls out the following:

1) Cockpit - majority of the cockpit is called out for RLM66 Black grey
2) Cannon bay - RLM02 Gray
3) Engine "plug" - RLM02 Gray - not the actual engine bits, the firewalls and interior fuse walls.
4) Landing Gear wells - RLM02 Gray
5) Radiator - dark iron

Do these seem reasonable enough? What reference sources do you all recommend for the Doras? I am staying with the D-9.
Dale

Markings 2.JPG

Last edited:
I think I have a Fw-190D or Ta-152 from Fujimi ive got to check :D so ill jump in, since she was only meant to be a junk bird anyway :D

ok, I will probably go with the markings shown below. Eduard instruction book claims this one was flown by Oblt Hans Dortenmann with IV./JG 26

Now, what about interior colors? Cockpit, the wheel bay, radiator, etc. The Eduard kit calls out the following:

3) Engine "plug" - RLM02 Gray - not the actual engine bits, the firewalls and interior fuse walls.
5) Radiator - dark iron

Do these seem reasonable enough? What reference sources do you all recommend for the Doras? I am staying with the D-9.
Dale

View attachment 221683

I'm not an expert, but I've built a few and that seems correct to me.

is the eduard the kit to get in 1/48... thinking D9 to keep the cammo lunacy down to a gentle roar
Hey, tiger,
I posted a VERY brief discussion on the Eduard kit. It can be found here:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/eduard-1-48-fw-190d-9-a-35517.html

This is my first eduard kit, so I cannot comment on the build quality yet. The little dry fitting I have done leaves me favorably impressed.

Thank you for the feedback, Catch!!! I appreciate you taking the time.

Dale

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great kits and info so far guys!

Got quite a bit of info and photos myself, will post relevant things as and when I can.

My Dora collection:
Fw 190D-9 -Academy 1:72
Fw 190D-9 -Hasegawa (new tool) 1:72
Fw 190D-9 -Italeri 1:72
Fw 190D-9 -Tamiya 1:72
Fw 190D-11 -Planet models 1:72
Fw 190D-11 -Revell 1:48

5) Radiator - dark iron

Dale

View attachment 221683

Being Dortenmanns aircraft and that it is W.Nr. 210003 the third produced at the start of production and first issued it would have most likely had those areas painted as described, later production at varying centres would have seen many unpainted internal surfaces to save time and then it simply becomes a best guess...
This aircraft underwent a few changes during its life, camo, canopy, numbering...Red 1 to Black 1 and finally yellow 1...

I think I have a Fw-190D or Ta-152 from Fujimi ive got to check :D so ill jump in, since she was only meant to be a junk bird anyway :D

Sorry Igor, this is for serious builders only - no junk birds allowed!!!!!

Just kidding of course :lol:

Great kits and info so far guys!

Got quite a bit of info and photos myself, will post relevant things as and when I can.

My Dora collection:
Fw 190D-9 -Academy 1:72
Fw 190D-9 -Hasegawa (new tool) 1:72
Fw 190D-9 -Italeri 1:72
Fw 190D-9 -Tamiya 1:72
Fw 190D-11 -Planet models 1:72
Fw 190D-11 -Revell 1:48

Hey, Evan,
You are into those itty, bitty birds..... my arms are just not long enough for 1/72 anymore. Hell, 1/48th is taxing the ole eyes now days. Damned glad I grabbed that magnifying lamp on sale at Harbor Freight in Nov. Now, where was I? They keep telling me the mind is the 2nd thing to go...... what is the 1st again?

OK, dumb question.... What are these W.Nr. <XXXXXX> numbers I am seeing you all reference? I am assuming these are something along the line of a chassis or serial number?

Dale

Last edited:
They are indeed serial numbers (The acronym stands for Werkenummer or "Manufacturer Number") which can be helpful in tracing origin of manufacture (factories were assigned specific s/n blocks) and can therefore lead to clues on colours, markings, and fit-out details......but not always :twisted:

1/48 Focke Wulf Fw190D-9 - Doras Galoras! Unofficial Group Build
User Name: dneid
Name: Dale
Kit: Eduard
Scale: 1/48th.
Accessories: Out of the box

Brief overview of the kit can be found here:
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/eduard-1-48-fw-190d-9-a-35517.html

View attachment 221732

Waiting for the new compressor to get here Friday. My 35 yr old Paasche finally went to its great reward last night. Ordered a new one this morning.

I have a review of this kit in one of the model mags, looks really good :D

I've been searching the internet trying to get the colors straight from all the different interpretations out there. I think I finally have a plan.
Fuselage sides and bottom: Sky type S with a little yellow added
Fuselage top: RLM 81 and 82 with RLM 83 on the top of the nose
Vert Stabilizer: Sky mix with a mottling of RLM 81 and 83
Rudder RLM 63 with 75 mottling
Wing underside: Natural metal finish forward, RLM 75 aft, RLM 76 ailerons and right outer wing
Wing upper: Not sure here yet. Either RLM 82 and 75 or 75 and 63.

The good news is that I checked through my paint stocks and have all the above paints.

Also, below are all the pictures of Blue 12 that I have found. I've understand that there are more out there and it seems probable as I don't see how the detail on the underside of the wing shown in profiles could be based on only these pictures. Any other pictures would be appreciated.

394525140.jpg
Blue 12 Fw 190D-9.jpg
Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-5_JG6-(Black-12+-)-WNr-500570-Germany-1945-02.jpg
Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-5_JG6-(Black-12+-)-WNr-500570-surrendering-Germany-1945-01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back