Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

redcat.jpg

ok got the Rv band done !

Picture 214.jpg

I have finally convinced myself the additional reinforcements were present on the D-15 (I could go much further on the project until I had decided), so they're now attached. All that needs doing is finishing up these nose seams, trying to make everything look smooth(ish) and like it supposed to be there, then throw some paint it to check I havent missed anything! :)

Oh and Wayne - totally unrelated - new Kagero "Messerschmitt Bf 109F The Ace Maker" book is REALLY good (the first of their more detailed 'orange' series or something - shame they didnt do the He 219 book like this)! $28 from bookdepository.co.uk

Oh and Wayne - totally unrelated - new Kagero "Messerschmitt Bf 109F The Ace Maker" book is REALLY good (the first of their more detailed 'orange' series or something - shame they didnt do the He 219 book like this)! $28 from bookdepository.co.uk

Cheers mate, would like to see this one, as a review said it had a lot of stuff rehashed from the previous 2 Bf109F part 1 and 2 books which I already have, don't want to waste money buying the same thing simply in a different cover.

Andy both those doras look the biz

Work, sunshine and life in general has meant modelling time has been traded for messing with cars and boats out in the real world, but i have started the undercarriage and done some paint recifications ..

Being england the sun wont last so more pics early next week

Yeah, I can understand that... I have neither of the earlier Bf 109F books, hence the reasoning that it looked pretty good; tho I too, am a little over Kagero's constant 'rehashing' of the same stuff, despite the fact I have just bought the new He 219 vol. II. Really hoping vol. II has some new stuff, to repay me slightly for investing in vol. I, which was simply a rehash of the first HALF of the earlier Kagero, with all the same errors still!

@Rochie - Colour: Most Likely (but not always) the same colour as the lower wing surface; Stencils: Ex-factory, yes. My gut says for an a/c this late, they will likley be the 'smaller' type (for lack of a better way to describe it, the SINGLE column of digits), but could just as easily be the more common, earlier Double Column of Digits type...

D

@Rochie - Colour: Most Likely (but not always) the same colour as the lower wing surface; Stencils: Ex-factory, yes. My gut says for an a/c this late, they will likley be the 'smaller' type (for lack of a better way to describe it, the SINGLE column of digits), but could just as easily be the more common, earlier Double Column of Digits type...

D

so as this has RLM81 on the lower leading edge then bare metal i should go with bare metal ?

when i did white 12 i painted the covers the same as the lower leading edges though !!!

and i have both types of stencil so i am good there then.

thanks Dan

Wayne beat me to it, but yeah - lower wing colour generally means the colour applied to the fwd sections of the wing; there is only ever one colour on the lower sections of a D-9, regardless of whether it covers the whole wing, the fwd half or just the leading edge. And in 99.99% of factory applied colours (as soon as I say 100% someone will come up with an exception), the gear doors are the same as the lower wing colour - once it gets to the Staffeln though, all bets are off!

Thanks Evan. No more Doras in the stash but there's a fuselage left over from the Eduard kit that I was thinking of making the wingless Yellow 15 in a diorama at some point. That'll be well down the road though and I'll need a 1/48 Jumo to do it.

@Crimea - mate I'd ask around. I know in all the Eduard Fw 190 kits I have (A-6, A-8, A-8/R2, A-9, D-9, D-9 Late, D-11, D-13, JV44 combo, etc), I have enough 'spare' parts to make most of EITHER another A-8/A-9 or another D-9 (and probably donote some parts from one of the old Dragon D-9 kits or the resin-stash I have here). THUS, if you know what you need, it may help to ask around and say something like "I need Eduard lower and upper wings of a Late A-6 to A-9 or D-series - doesn't need to be all from one person, etc" - then pull the extra parts off an old kit, resin pit, Etched Gear Doors, fill some panels and scratch and engine to make whatever mark you think.

Definiately wont hurt to ask!

Or build a set of wings the right way (ie, make them basically SOLID by filling them with plaster or whatever) and mold/cast an extra set or three!

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back