Doras Galoras - Unofficial GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those are some great ideas Dan. I think I'm going to really focus on the engine/gun bay area as for as super detailing, the cockpit, wheel wells, landing gear, tail gear, and some really nice paint application should keep me busy for awhile. My plan is to build a few versions of this kit. And perhaps design and market a few aftermarket kits as well. Now that my buddy Chuck has his CNC mill, there's really no reason why we can make a few extra parts for some other folks. My first "kit" that I'm thinking about is my "Tank Kit" which will have the Oil Tank, the Port and Starboard Coolant Tanks, and the tank behind the engine. The yellow one. ...What is that tank anyway? hahah... I should know by now! I'm thinking of fabricating the ammo case shoots out of thin brass stock vs plastic and soldering the joints. As far as the fuselage, I'll do the fuel doors and the caps, and maybe keep the rest closed up. If you have Crandall's Volume one, look on page 23. He talks about the B4 Okt. 87 octane fuel which also means my bird does not have MW 50 boost injection. So I shouldn't do that I suppose. But I guess they could have added it later. I wonder if the MW 50 equipped aircraft had a different engine compression rating or they just stipulated different fuel? Interesting.. Oh and the idea of the 13mm rounds are awesome. I think I could cast up a batch of those. Wouldn't that be cool. Real brass 1/24 scale rounds... Woo hooo! So! Looking forward to the weekend my friend!

BTW tomorrow is F R I D A Y.

D - out

Uppersurfaces: Forward engine cowl to the gun cowl RLM 83 Dark Green; RLM 81 (Mystery RLM color??) Brown-Violet over midsection of upper fuselage terminating at the rear of the fuselage Balkenkreuz; RLM 83 lightly sprayed on the rear fuselage spine and vertical fin; square Red Oxide patch over lift hole on rear fuselage; upper wing RLM 75 or Light Gray with splinter pattern RLM 83; RLM 81 on port wing root."

In Crandall's illustration of your bird, the RLM 81 looks much closer to RLM 76 then the color you sprayed your fuse. Or is that just me? How did you come to the decision to spray it the color you did? ....Just wondering.. :) I'll try and get a good picture of the illustration for you guys tomorrow. And Andy, do you have Crandall's Volume One? Cool stuff!

Yep. Got both volumes. Not sure what you mean by my choice of colours. 83 dark green nose (typical Junkers built poser egg) 81 brown violet around cockpkit area and 82 bright green tail area. Crandall's profile reflects that in my opinion.

Nose down on Black 6 today. Cancelled a golf game today to get her done for Saturday but not sure I will make it. Got some silvering on the stencil decals I need to work out. Grrrrrr....

As previous posts, both Wayne and I prefer a greener RLM81 than Crimea here, but its still a pretty valid interpretation of RLM81 (or one of the 4 major varieties) and not too far away from Crandall. And yeah, the spine is definately RLM82, with probably a light overspray on the power egg too. The WNr is in the right range for a RLM81/82 fuselage (the only area of realistic debate for me, is in the demarcation between the Power Egg and Fuselage - I kinda suspect a hard-edge, that doesnt completely line up, but thats me), Junkers power eggs at that stage were all RLM83/RLM76, the only real mystery is in the wings/horizontal tails as those things came pre-painted from sub-contractors.

Conclusion, Crimea's scheme passes the 'tonal difference' test and while not my first choice of colour variants, is within the range of reasonable interpretations... Its pretty hard to call someone up on RLM81 as it varied so much; we have tones that seem to start at Dark Olive Green, go through something akin to USAAF Olive Drab, through to a sort of Olive Brown with a hint of Purple/Green in it... Its a tough colour to nail down...

D

Black 6 REDUCED.jpg

Even after adjusting, I too would prefer the 81 to be a little greener but that's for next time. I spent pretty much all day on this brute and finished it off for the contest tomorrow. No time for finished pics but here's a taste of some of the assembly I did today:

13053111.jpg
13053112.jpg
13053113.jpg
13053114.jpg
13053115.jpg

Looks rather Nice Andy, under the lights though the Red brown seems very dominant in the colour of 81, like you I will have to do further experimenting on the colour mix for a darker more Greenish mix. I really think the Tamiya Red brown has had a redish tweak!

Looks awesome Andy!

Also I wanted to clarify my remarks earlier regarding your color choices. I did not mean to come across that I was calling you out or saying that I thought you made the wrong choice in terms of your fuselage color. I was thinking that you may be using some other period photos other than Crandall's depiction in his book. His color illustration from page 191 shows Black 6 on the bottom of the page. I'll try and get a photo from the book. I believe he may be calling the color on the side of the fuselage RLM 75 >or< Light Gray. But that of course is Crandall's interpretation from a very limited black and white picture. I think your bird looks awesome the way it is. So sorry to come off as a know it all dick if that was the case! I am probably the least knowledgeable of luftwaffe colors here in the group so... nuff said.

On to the build. My plan this weekend is to work on the tanks. Oil Tank and the two coolant tanks. I made it to the hobby shop for some aluminum tubing and a few brass solids. Going to work on the engine mounts and the rear engine tank too. I'm not sure if the yellow tank was a extra fuel tank, or the MW50 tank or another coolant reservoir tank. More research to do. Good news though. I found a super awesome website that has lots of Jumo 213 manuals for download. Here is a link for you guys to check out.:

Junkers Jumo 213 Aircraft Engine Parts Manual -

I bought several of them and they all appear to be super dooper! Should help me clear up some of the technical details. So hopefully I'll get some good work done this weekend, and maybe get a few molds built for the "Tank Kit".

I'll post up a few progress pictures in a little while. Hope you guys have a great weekend.

Keep a sharp eye out for that evil furball Dan. My Ollie is going to the vet Monday for his "Adjustment". Better him than me.

Take care

Denis

I wanted to clarify my remarks earlier regarding your color choices. I did not mean to come across that I was calling you out or saying that I thought you made the wrong choice in terms of your fuselage color. I was thinking that you may be using some other period photos other than Crandall's depiction in his book. His color illustration from page 191 shows Black 6 on the bottom of the page. I'll try and get a photo from the book. I believe he may be calling the color on the side of the fuselage RLM 75 >or< Light Gray. But that of course is Crandall's interpretation from a very limited black and white picture. I think your bird looks awesome the way it is. So sorry to come off as a know it all dick if that was the case! I am probably the least knowledgeable of luftwaffe colors here in the group so... nuff said.

Luftwaffe colour (particularly the late colours) is one of the most HOTLY debated topics there is; I think we're all used to it :)

D

Denis, I didn't take it the wrong way at all, just wasn't sure what you meant so no worries.

So Friday was crunch day and I even spent 20 minutes Saturday morning installing the up-to-then-forgotten landing gear indicators on the top of the wings but I did finish Black 6. I was actually quie pleased with the result and felt it was one of my best builds. Unfortunately, the contest judges didn't agree and the model didn't place. However, my other Dora, White 11, got a second place, even though I thought it to be inferior to Black 6. One thing I did notice is that I think I bent one of the the landing gear when I almost dropped the thing yesterday. It took a hard fall onto the bench but seemed none the worse for wear, but I think, I knocked one fo the struts out of alignment.

Anyway, I'll declare myself officially done post all my finished shots here. Thanks to all of you for your valuable input. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of you progress your work here.

13060207.jpg

13060208.jpg

13060209.jpg

13060210.jpg

13060211.jpg

13060212.jpg

13060201.jpg

13060202.jpg

13060203.jpg

13060204.jpg

13060205.jpg

13060206.jpg

13060213.jpg

Incidentally, while on the subject of landing gear, those of you building Eduard's Fw190's will need to watch the installation of the struts onto your models. The detail that Eduard provides invovles placing two ridges molded onto the ends of the struts into slots provided in the wheel wells. Unfortunately, if you line these up to mate, you will get a very upright looking placement of the landing gear that looks very wrong. I remedied this by gluing additional bits of sprue onto the vertical tabs so that the struts are pushed forward. After that, plenty of CA secures everything in place. Patience and a bit of fiddley work is needed here to make the landing gear look correct.

By the way, here's a pic of my White 11 which took second place in the super-detailed category, beating out Black 6 above. The full thread for this build can be found here: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/start-finish-builds/1-48-tamiya-fw190d-9-white-11-iv-jg51-34729.html

130602 Silver Medalist.jpg

Hey Andy

I think both of your Birds look awesome. Sorry that Black 6 didn't place. The competition must have been really tough. White 11 looks really sharp! That's the first time I've seen Her. I'll have to read through your build post for that one. And thanks for letting me know about the color thing... Didn't want to sound like a know it all. I'd be happy just to know some of it all!

Didn't get alot of build time this weekend, but did get a chance to work on the port and starboard coolant tanks. No mold yet though. I'm working on adding a weld seam on both tanks, and so far not really happy with it just yet. My idea is to take a fine copper wire and add impressions in the copper to simulate a weld seam. I'm taking a small watch makers screwdriver pressing the tip into the copper to simulate the weld formation. The running it down length ways down the tanks. I'm having to lock the ends of the copper wire with CA, which is leaving a small blob on the ends of the weld seam (wire). I don't like the little blob. I may try and drill a small hole at each end and stick the wire in the hole, then apply the CA into the hole hopefully hold the wire securely. The Mystery Tank (to me!) has two nice weld seams on the it as well as a new filler neck and a 90 degree fitting.

Fun Stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back