Dornier 17Z-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
Kit (vintage 1971) Frog 1/72 Dornier Do.17Z-2. (F205)

Trying to keep the seat warm between Group Builds I thought I would tackle a kit I have been kind of avoiding. I picked it up, along with others, from the local hobby shop consignment shelf. Good price but some warts. As noted, the 'New Tooling' was in 1971, and this particular kit must have been one of the last runs before selling to Revell! Lots of flash to attend to. As may be detectable in the photos, the decals are questionable for usage. I have had them taped to a sunny window for about a week now trying to 'bleach' out the yellow that the white has turned to. That may be working, and probably having to do a coat of Microscale Liquid Decal Film to hold them together? I do have another decal path that I would like to take on; later. Here are the contents. As you can see not much cockpit detail so the interior will go quickly. Not sure why I want to try and keep all the acrylic clear? Same for the other build parts, minimal. I just need to be extra careful, being spoiled building models with recessed panel lines, this has many that are raised, and thin.

17Z-2 box art.jpg

17Z-2 sprue 1.jpg

17Z-2 sprue 2.jpg

17Z-2 instructions.jpg

The salvation of this build will be in the finishing. I have done a small amount of research and found a reference to this version (Z-2) being used in the Mediterranean theater. Below is a photo showing it painted in 'Mediterranean theater yellow bands'. Does anyone have any addition detail on this particular kite or others with this color scheme and markings? I most likely can scrounge up enough wing and fuselage as well as swastikas decals to cover the build but group patches and numbers are iffy?

17Z-2 Med Yellow Theater bands.jpg

It's the Dornier Do 17Z-2 Geschwader Stab KG2 U5+DA in flight over the Balkans 1941. Here is the full shot.

View attachment 627173
the source: Dornier Do 17Z Geschwader Stab KG2 U5+DA in flight over the Balkans 1941 01

and here the camo scheme ...

View attachment 627174
the source: Mark I Models 14464 Dornier Do 17 Z-2 Balkan Operations
I'm never ceased to be amazed at the depth of the resources. Thanks. I did kind of find this one but with no detailed information. The photo is a bit deceiving in that it appears to have a yellow belly as well!

It's the Dornier Do 17Z-2 Geschwader Stab KG2 U5+DA in flight over the Balkans 1941. Here is the full shot.

View attachment 627173
the source: Dornier Do 17Z Geschwader Stab KG2 U5+DA in flight over the Balkans 1941 01

and here the camo scheme ...

View attachment 627174
the source: Mark I Models 14464 Dornier Do 17 Z-2 Balkan Operations

I had also found these. My mistaking the lower fuselage as being a 'yellowish' color had me confused. But these schemes are interesting as well! As you may have seen with my previous builds/posts I do like a bit of 'flashy' color!

Eduard 148 Do-17Z Kampfstift (ED11147) (18).jpg

Eduard 148 Do-17Z Kampfstift (ED11147) (19).jpg

Eduard 148 Do-17Z Kampfstift (ED11147) (20).jpg

Regarding the U5+DL plane I'm not sure where they got the yellow undersides of the wing tips from. Also the yellow on the engine cowl should be on the entire cowling there rather than only on the middle surface. Additionally , the yellow on the elevators is also not sure. But quite likely though..

Progress I guess? This is a strange build for me. First time I have ever attached the landing gear and structure before total assembly and paint. Lesson(s) learned. One, avoid 50 year old kits. It looked like it would be a challenge and it is living up to expectations. The fits are giving me FITs. The photo shows some of the work, but not even close inspection reveals all of the scraping and sanding left to do on this wing section alone. Not shown are the large gaps where the nacelles are 'supposed' to fit to the wing curves. Good thing I have plenty of filler. I suppose when (IF-another Zombie build?) I get it done it will look acceptable? Espicially if I don't do any really close in shots! Certainly not a quick build!

Progress FD.jpg

Keep chipping away. The reward will be there. Takes some skill to make, i think, a 50 year old kit presentable. But hè it would take far more skill to put a 50 year old builder presentable. Unless you live in Hollywood. Then it would not be a challenge.

Keep chipping away. The reward will be there. Takes some skill to make, i think, a 50 year old kit presentable. But hè it would take far more skill to put a 50 year old builder presentable. Unless you live in Hollywood. Then it would not be a challenge.
Encouragement appreciated. I'll not give up, just a wonder that these were 'popular' and build back in the day! Most likely will keep me occupied until GB51 though.

Progress-of-sorts. Should have kept track of time, I believe I have more hours in masking canopy panes than I have invested in the rest of the build to date! Whew! Other than a couple of small bits to glue on and some paint touch ups (as well as the yellow under wing tip and fuselage band) I'm ready to do the camo.

DO17Z-2 PortF.jpg

DO17Z-2 PortR.jpg

The camo pattern is a question though I have decided to apply the winter camo, specifically the Russian front version. I have found only two color examples and many photos. There is a definite appearance difference in the two examples that are available, Eduard's and another from a pre-built Co. One is fairly subtle while the other is kind of 'in-you-face' bold patterned. Which begs the question. Is there really an official camo scheme for this operation?

Do17Z-2 Eduard.jpg

DO17Z-2 Corgi.jpg

For the decals, I will have to do some picking through my available's. Unfortunately the decals that came with this kit are just to old (50 years) and unusable. I'm certain I can find an appropriate set of swastikas, and crosses. The '5-K-H-R' of the right size may be in there somewhere?

The winter "camouflage" is nothing but a removable white paint that was applied over the standard 70/71 splinter pattern. The white wore off easily and the differences that you see in photos and schemes are simply a result of differing extents of wear. That means that you can pretty well show the white in whatever state you want.

The winter "camouflage" is nothing but a removable white paint that was applied over the standard 70/71 splinter pattern. The white wore off easily and the differences that you see in photos and schemes are simply a result of differing extents of wear. That means that you can pretty well show the white in whatever state you want.
Ahhh! When I first saw the photo of the model I thought of peeling paint, but in a way that did not make 'German' sense! Applying this 'pattern' will be a bit more challenging, but if I just concentrate on the 'hard' edges, rudder leading edges, etc. and use the photo as a guide it should be interesting and fun as well. I just need to pick an applicator. The 'softer' camo woul have been easy if applied with a Q-tip or somthing with a spongy sort tip. The 'peeled' look will be tested on my sacraficial Spitfire. I suppose a stiff flat edge brush may be well to start with. Thanks for the insight. Never had any doubts about being further educated!

May be too late for this. An amazing weathering effect that you achieved, but it seem that the 'good' paint color coat needed to be applied first. If I would have understood this 'before' I applied the white! Should have asked...

Not sure where the 'hair spray' comes in though. What did I miss? This was the white coat applicator?

No. First the technique only works with an acylic white. First you paint the undercoat, in this case 70/71. Then apply a gloss coat and apply decals as always and clear coat again. When fully cured, a coat of hairspray is applied and then shortly afterwards, the white. The white is then removed immediately using a stiff paint brush at the desired locations.

A complex, but succesful, finish that you achieved. It may be in the translation between us on the use of the word 'hairspray'. That, and me being the wrong gender, my mind went to a 'spritz' bottle full of paint. Oh well. I'll try and achieve 'something' using a brush. Always learning....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back