dornier do 17z-2 by frog 1/72nd

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bob2206.jpg

bob2200.jpg

bob2201.jpg

now finished

i thought i'd add a restore to this thread showing the difference between models,the frog kit has the JU88 nose fitted,the restore is the airfix kit with the earlier Dornier nose
bob2294.jpg

bob2295.jpg

i originally built this kit when i was 14 [36 years ago],at sometime i must have started to clean it up although i don't remember doing any modelling since i was 16 when i started work,anyway see what you think

Undoubtedly she needs to be restored. These colours look almost correcrt. But the camo scheme is a little bit incorrect.

Last edited:
Good stuff Bob. BTW, the nose on both aircraft is from Dornier, not Junkers, just different designs, with the later nose having optically flat panels. The earlier 'round' nose is on the Do17P, mainly used for photo recce work by 1940.

i could do with a hand with this one Wojtek ,1st how can i clean up the transparencies with out ruining them ,2nd can you help with the correct camo and colours please,

I think i read the info on the different noses used on another site somewhere Terry so forgive me for getting it wrong

I use to restore transparent caustic stripper and then polish with Lijo and toothpaste and cotton, the camouflage of the German planes were almost always go straight edge knife
the hills of this device changed the model p to z and using the same designer who had the junkers to better vision to the pilot in landing in the Spanish Civil War the German Condor Legion tubieron used these products and that many accidents because hood on unprepared runways easily because the pilot lost sight of land

Last edited:
i could do with a hand with this one Wojtek ,1st how can i clean up the transparencies with out ruining them ,2nd can you help with the correct camo and colours please,

I think i read the info on the different noses used on another site somewhere Terry so forgive me for getting it wrong

Of course I can help. But please give me sometime as I'm busy with a few chores around the flat here.

Bob, what are you going to do with the model? If I were you I would unstick all of these external small details firstly and remove paints. But you might be of another thought.

Do you remeber what kind of paints you used for the camo scheme? I mean Humbrols/Revell oil enamels of acrylic water paints.

Here you are exampleas of the early tree-tone camo scheme for Do-17. The camo consisted of RLM61 Dark Brown, RLM62 Medium Green, RLM63 Pale Grey on top surfaces and the RLM65 Pale Blue on undersides. Please note that edges of camo spots were straight "sharp" lines.

Picture and profile source.... Luftwaffe Colours - Kampfflieger- Bombers of the Luftwaffe 1933-1940, Volume 1.

Attachments

• Do17 early pic.jpg
    Do17 early pic.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Do17 early.jpg
    Do17 early.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Do17 early pic1.jpg
    Do17 early pic1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Do17 early_1.jpg
    Do17 early_1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Form the "bird's eye" the camo looked like the one for the DO-17 of the Spanish War.

105825.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back