Douglas Skyraider....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Navy blue and white or....?

IMG_20240216_221051.jpg

Source: U.S. Navy Aircraft History

Plus, I found this one at KingKit, 132325 might be an AD-4B, but still....China Lake and all red and white and £20 doesnt hurt either! 😍🥰😉😆😂

IMG_20240216_222436.jpg

50511129721_fe9a3cd4b5_z.jpg

26afd8337e6060de3c0c32ac7392d14b.jpg

I might just pick up another Esci 1/48 Skyraider....

By the looks of it the decal sheet may need some attention before you use the. :thumbright: :D

Fingers crossed Vic! 🤞🏻
Should be looking good (hopefully) next to a Swedish all yellow Skyraider, should I ever manage to get my finger out!
Just need to find out the external differences between an A-1H and AD-4B....books, here we come! 😆😂

Just need to find out the external differences between an A-1H and AD-4B....books, here we come! 😆😂

AD-4B ... specialized version designed to carry nuclear weapons, also armed with four 20 mm (0.79 in) cannon; 165 built plus 28 conversions.

A-1H (AD-6) ... single-seat attack aircraft with three dive brakes, centerline station stressed for 3,500 lb (1,600 kg) of ordnance, 30 in (760 mm) in diameter, combination 14 in (360 mm) and 30 in (760 mm) bomb ejector and low/high altitude bomb director; 713 built.

AD-4B
AD-4B Overview.jpg

A-1H ( AD-6)
AD-6 Skyraider Bu.No134522  VA-196.jpg

the source: Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - NAS's Alameda & Moffett Field ...

A-1H_Skyraider_VA-176_1964.jpg

the source: the net.

In my day, the '60s, the only red/white ADs that I saw were flight test or VC composite squadrons. Even the advanced training unit/RAG squadron, VT-30/TU-301, based at NAS Corpus Christi eschewed the white training command paint schemes used on S-2s, P-5s, F-9s, F-11s, etc of the day, just painting the vertical stab and wing tips dayglo red, then red/orange.

Attachments

• A-1H VT-30.jpg
    A-1H VT-30.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 16
The Republic of Vietnam Air Force (RVNAF) A-1H with the yellow and black checkerboard fuselage bands in the King Kit is an aircraft of the RVNAF 23rd Tactical Wing (514th and 515th Fighter Squadrons), which was based at Bien Hoa air base in the 1960s during the Vietnam War. This outfit was well known to me because they provided close air support to my unit when I was Senior Advisor to the 1st Battalion, 14th Army of the Republic of Vietnam Infantry Regiment, 9th ARVN Division, in Vinh Binh Province in 1966-1967. We loved those airplanes, which carried a seemingly infinite amount of ordnance (bombs, rockets, and 20mm cannon) and could loiter seemingly all day long to give us a hand when needed. If my 57-year-old memories are correct, they were the only outfit that provided us CAS except on a very long day (26 March 1967) at a place called Landing Zone ALPHA, when we got a lot of support from the F-100s of the 90th Tactical FIghter Squadron, 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, also from Bien Hoa. But that's another story about another airplane.

The Republic of Vietnam Air Force (RVNAF) A-1H with the yellow and black checkerboard fuselage bands in the King Kit is an aircraft of the RVNAF 23rd Tactical Wing (514th and 515th Fighter Squadrons), which was based at Bien Hoa air base in the 1960s during the Vietnam War. This outfit was well known to me because they provided close air support to my unit when I was Senior Advisor to the 1st Battalion, 14th Army of the Republic of Vietnam Infantry Regiment, 9th ARVN Division, in Vinh Binh Province in 1966-1967. We loved those airplanes, which carried a seemingly infinite amount of ordnance (bombs, rockets, and 20mm cannon) and could loiter seemingly all day long to give us a hand when needed. If my 57-year-old memories are correct, they were the only outfit that provided us CAS except on a very long day (26 March 1967) at a place called Landing Zone ALPHA, when we got a lot of support from the F-100s of the 90th Tactical FIghter Squadron, 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, also from Bien Hoa. But that's another story about another airplane.
Hi Don. Interesting tid bit. Always like the Skyraider's brute force.
If you want to share more, well... here is your audience. Hope you will.

Thanks for the feedback and friendly reception, Snautzer01.

Lucky 13 - I can see why your Dad liked the Skyraider, and also why he liked the beautiful Monon F3A!

A few years ago I came into possession of a recording made by a USAF pilot who was advisor to the 23 TW. He made it for his wife. Plugged a cassette recorder (new technology at that time) into his radio and talked through starting up his A-1, taking off, formating with the rest of the flight, and his chatter with the Viet pilots as they put in an air strike. Fascinating to listen to.

Thanks for the feedback and friendly reception, Snautzer01.

Lucky 13 - I can see why your Dad liked the Skyraider, and also why he liked the beautiful Monon F3A!

A few years ago I came into possession of a recording made by a USAF pilot who was advisor to the 23 TW. He made it for his wife. Plugged a cassette recorder (new technology at that time) into his radio and talked through starting up his A-1, taking off, formating with the rest of the flight, and his chatter with the Viet pilots as they put in an air strike. Fascinating to listen to.

Indeed, which made me in turn a huge fan of the Skyraider as well....
I remember growing up not liking the AD-5's and some of the other versions, but these days....I love them all, it's a Skyraider, what isn't there to like!? 🤨🤔😳😲
As for my dad, he definitely liked those Monon F's and then soon after, the company as a whole, I bought him a book about it some years ago, I need to find another copy I think!
I enjoy listening to pilots from WWII, Korea and Vietnam, their stories and also when available, the communication between them when in action....

Why get a Cessna when you can get a.....

IMG_20240222_131701.jpg

IMG_20240222_132034.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back