**** DOUNE: GB-36 1/48 Ju-87B-2 Stuka - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The wing has been assembled and the bottom paint has been started. I have to get some yellow paint for the outer wing panels.

IMG_0002.JPG

Landing gear has been assembled and the fairings have been painted. The top portion of the fairings will be painted dark green along the natural seam that runs just below the protruding piece. Nose cone has been painted and is awaiting assembly although that will be one of the last steps of the construction. A couple of small touch ups will be made to the landing gear assemblies.
IMG_0003.JPG

Propeller blades have been painted and await assembly.
IMG_0005.JPG

Various other bits and bobs have been painted and await their turn to be attached at the proper time.

A trip to the hobby store is required to pick up a couple of jars of paint needed to proceed so a lull in building will occur.

Cheers,

Jeff

Well, despite numerous set backs with my plan to get to the hobby shop I finally made it there late this afternoon and picked up the required paint to move forward with this project.

First order of business was to apply the yellow outer wing markings to the bottom side of same. Results were pretty good.

Next was to apply RLM 71 to the entire upper surface of the wing. I will let it properly dry and then mask off the areas to remain in 71 and apply the RLM 70 splinter camouflage.

That was the extent of progress today.

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Good job on the yellow. Tough colour.
Straight Tamiya out of the jar. In the past when I have used thinner on Tamiya yellow, it does the exact opposite and thickens into a goo that is for the trash. This has happened twice and is the reason I had to get a new jar of yellow earlier today. The yellow is the only colour I have ever had this happen with and now that it has happened more than once I will spray yellow straight from the jar. I am quite pleased with the way it went on today. Yellow is one of the more difficult colours to get a nice coverage with but it certainly pops when applied to an otherwise dark camouflaged aircraft.

Anyhow, with the wing drying overnight, I have started to cut out masks. These one pictured below are for the upper wing surfaces. I cleaned my cutting sheet as best I could before laying down the blue masking tape. I love the blue as I have never had it peel off paint. It adheres very nicely and peels off smoothly and with ease.

IMG_0002.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Nice progress Jeff. At the risk of repeating Andy's question re. the nose, why are you painting the wing assembly now when there there is gluing and possibly filling and sanding to come?

Dry fitting shows very little to no gapping in the fuselage to wing fit. What there is can be easily taken care of with a dab of white glue. I also find it much easier to decal both the wings and fuselage when they are separate. The masking for the fuselage is going to be tricky to lay down and once again will be easier if the wings are not attached.

Odd about the Tamiya yellow turning to goo with thinner. I've never had that happen. I use Tamiya's thinners.

Odd about the Tamiya yellow turning to goo with thinner. I've never had that happen. I use Tamiya's thinners.
I agree that it is odd. First time I thought it might be a bad batch of.paint but when it happened again this past weekend I just thought, no more. Not that the money is a big thing but it is the inconvenience of the 20 minute drive to the HS to replace the jar of paint and then the drive home. I have no clue as to why but it has only happened with the yellow. Weird

Users who are viewing this thread

Back