Duxford's P-40B

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
hey guys? I had only recently found out about a restored P-40B Tomahawk in airworthy condition in the UK. and I was amazed that this P-40 is a Pearl Harbor survivor. now...I don't mean to be a killjoy or anything, nor do I mean to take stuff away from our British friends, but shouldn't this bird, if it actually IS a PH survivor, be on perm display with occasional flying at the Pacific Aviation museum at pearl Harbor? I mean this bird was apparently stationed at the base at the time of the attack and survived. shouldn't it stay there? as part of poetic justice or something? I'm just wondering.

The Duxford P-40B was at PH - it was in a hangar being repaired at the time of the Japanese attack. As for the question about where it should be, I guess that comes down to $ since it's a privately-owned airframe.

It's no different to there being a Concorde in New York or a Camel at Rhinebeck (have I spelled that right?), these airframes will end up wherever the will and funding exists to keep them. I'm surprised the Smithsonian or another museum hasn't tried to bring the airframe back to the States though...

here you go Rob, taken last year when Terry and I visited:D

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 180
those are pretty nice shots :) got anymore?

Yeah there seems to be a lot of planes in different countries than their own...

and long may it continue....it is great to enjoy such beautiful aircraft in other countries than would be normally expected. I am delighted that other have been able to enjoy the mighty Hurricane in countries other than the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 124
Heres a few taken at DX since 2007. Dont seem to have any pics of her in the air....yet !

Attachments

• k5.jpg
    k5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 120
  • k4.jpg
    k4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 103
  • k3.jpg
    k3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 114
  • k2.jpg
    k2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 103
  • k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 110
  • k6.jpg
    k6.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 108
  • k7.jpg
    k7.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 115
  • k8.jpg
    k8.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 95
Great pictures Gary. That's my favorite model of P-40 and I almost chose to do the cockpit as one before deciding on the P-47. Had the control panel all laid out on paper even. Would have been a lot simpler, and I would have been done by now!

What a beauty. A bit off topic, but I was visiting Yosemite Valley in California and read where several P-40s like these buzzed the valley at the same time either just before the war or just after the start of it. Think it was before the United States entered the war. Was thinking how nice that must have been for the pilots involved. One of the most scenic places on Earth, and at the controls of a Tomahawk at tree top level, those Allison engines echoing through the valley and amongst those majestic waterfalls.

I did that over Yosemite in a light plane. Approaching it looks like a little cut in the rolling hills, not very big at all. Just bloody deep.
Noting on the P-40, it depresses me to see all that work go into a restoration, and the put vinyl letters for the tail serial number. Now I wonder if they did the same for the wings and side ID numbers. Thing is, the could cut a mask for spraying just as easy! Being an old sign painter, I've done them!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back