Earhart's Plane Found?!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When someone produces one piece of hard evidence that Earhart and Noonan were ever in Japanese hands then I'll take these theories seriously. If the Japanese military really 'captured' two such high profile Americans there would be plenty of it.
"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead", yet we are expected to believe that dozens or hundreds took this one to their graves.

As for that photograph....Jeeez.

Cheers

Steve

Interesting progress of talking as it sometimes goes.

Not only the Pacific War but even the 2nd Sino-Japanese War did not happen when Earhart disappeared.
Since the Manchurian Incident in 1931, U.S. and Japan had been seeking a better solution for the eternal peace between two countries and this effort was continued till just before the Pearl Harbor in early December of 1941.

If Japanese had been so fortunate as to find and rescue Earhart, Americans would have been very grateful for it and the coming Pacific War might have been avoided.

Last edited:
If Japanese had been so fortunate as to find and rescue Earhart, Americans would have been very grateful for it and the coming Pacific War might have been avoided.

Quite right Shinpachi. If the Japanese had found Earhart and Noonan the last thing they would have done was keep it secret. It would have been a huge propaganda opportunity for the Japanese, and one that they would have taken.
This is just one of many reasons why all the theories based on the premise that somehow the pair fell into Japanese hands just don't hold water.

There are only really two supportable theories. First, that they went into the Pacific Ocean and were lost without trace. Second, that they made landfall and a forced landing on a remote island (insert name of your choice) and subsequently perished there.
Whatever I may think of TIGHAR, it essentially pursues the second option, and it is a possibility at least. They haven't produced the evidence to convince me, but the possibility cannot be ignored.

Cheers

Steve

I think anyone can see whatever they want to see in that picture...

If I cross my eyes slightly, i get a perfect 3D picture of a dolphin balancing a beachball on its snout. Then again, it might be work-induced stress indicating it's time for me to vacation to the place with the beige decor and bouncy walls.

I loved adventure novels like Robinson Crusoe, Two Years Holiday and 20000 Leagues Under the Sea as a kid but had never heard of such an exciting story as Japan's involvement on the Earhart's disaster. I would have more loved it than novels if there had been any possibilities :)

OBLIQUEVIEWL10EORONA.png
Here is an oblique view of the Orona lagoon from GE 2006

Well , no. Just about every student of the AE mystery has dismissed the Nikumaroro theory years ago. Dying of thirst and eaten by crabs. A dreadful idea. I rather think AE spent five pleasant years on Roi-Namur before dying under attentive but unsuccessful medical care on Saipan. In order to believe in crash and sink or Nikumaroro one must think the US Marine veterans of the Saipan liberation were spinning war yarns ( a kinder way of saying lying). The Orona Saipan theory hasn't been tested. The other major ideas have been tested numerous times and failed each test. That's what theories are for- test methods to find the truth. The truth can then become history or science, etc. E=MC2 was mostly theory until a scientist pushed the plunger down in the New Mexico desert and on seeing the dramatic result said.. Damn, this really does work!

Well , no. Just about every student of the AE mystery has dismissed the Nikumaroro theory years ago. Dying of thirst and eaten by crabs. A dreadful idea. I rather think AE spent five pleasant years on Roi-Namur before dying under attentive but unsuccessful medical care on Saipan. In order to believe in crash and sink or Nikumaroro one must think the US Marine veterans of the Saipan liberation were spinning war yarns ( a kinder way of saying lying). The Orona Saipan theory hasn't been tested. The other major ideas have been tested numerous times and failed each test. That's what theories are for- test methods to find the truth. The truth can then become history or science, etc. E=MC2 was mostly theory until a scientist pushed the plunger down in the New Mexico desert and on seeing the dramatic result said.. Damn, this really does work!

Believe what you want, if you look at the underlying facts (transmissions received from the Ithaca) and the way AM radio works, she was close to Howland at one point - FACT!

The closest Japanese garrison - 800 miles away manned by a handful of soldiers - FACT!

As been pointed out here many times, the politics of the day dismiss a Japanese capture. It also dismisses a spy mission.

E=MC2, sure - I know plenty of Marines who lie, especially at closing time.

Reviewing Flyguy's post:

Yes, the flight got very close to Howland Island. But the flight overflew Howland and after searching, the flight turned south in hopes of finding one of Phoenix group. Noonan was familiar with the National Geographic expedition at Canton only three weeks earlier and thought help might still be there. The Itasca never transmitted a homing signal the flight could use. Couldn't see smoke...no sense in searching further. Kelly Johnson said the aircraft had the necessary endurance and could fly to the Phoenix group.

Yes the Japanese presence in the Marshalls was limited and didn't build up substantially until the war started. But to believe the pro-Axis Japanese would not be survelling whoever and whenever they could doesn't make sense. Only a small party of radio experts on Nikumaroro would be necessary to pick up the conversations of the HMS Wellington and USS Avocet at Canton and later the faint signals of Amelia's radio from Orona.

Yes Amelia was a pacifist and would never be involved in spying. The Orona theory is not about AE spying, it's about her being accused of spying ..a Hoax by the IJA...to influence the IJN.

Earlier in the thread someone noted that it would take dozens, perhaps 100's of dead men to keep the spy hoax and AE's capture secret. That's exactly what happened at Roi-Namur and at Saipan. The Japanese soldier.. very determined and a tenacious fighter..only a few surveyed out of the thousands in the defending garrisons. The Marines killed them all.

Reviewing Flyguy's post:

Yes, the flight got very close to Howland Island. But the flight overflew Howland and after searching, the flight turned south in hopes of finding one of Phoenix group. Noonan was familiar with the National Geographic expedition at Canton only three weeks earlier and thought help might still be there. The Itasca never transmitted a homing signal the flight could use. Couldn't see smoke...no sense in searching further. Kelly Johnson said the aircraft had the necessary endurance and could fly to the Phoenix group.

Yes the Japanese presence in the Marshalls was limited and didn't build up substantially until the war started. But to believe the pro-Axis Japanese would not be survelling whoever and whenever they could doesn't make sense. Only a small party of radio experts on Nikumaroro would be necessary to pick up the conversations of the HMS Wellington and USS Avocet at Canton and later the faint signals of Amelia's radio from Orona.

Yes Amelia was a pacifist and would never be involved in spying. The Orona theory is not about AE spying, it's about her being accused of spying ..a Hoax by the IJA...to influence the IJN.

Earlier in the thread someone noted that it would take dozens, perhaps 100's of dead men to keep the spy hoax and AE's capture secret. That's exactly what happened at Roi-Namur and at Saipan. The Japanese soldier.. very determined and a tenacious fighter..only a few surveyed out of the thousands in the defending garrisons. The Marines killed them all.

And reviewing Tom's post - you seem to know little about aircraft and the events of the day - first of all Kelly Johnson didn't design the Model 10, it was designed by Hal Hibbard and Lloyd Stearman, Kelly suggested some design changes to the tail when the aircraft was placed in a wind tunnel, aside from this, what's your point? The fact that the Ithaca picked up a strong LF radio signal PROVED beyond a shadow of a doubt that the aircraft was close to Howland and in one of Earhart's transmission she said they were low on fuel killing any theory that she was anywhere else in the Pacific. The fact that Kelly Johnson "SAID" the aircraft had the range to make the Phoenix group is irrelevant, BTW, Kelly Johnson didn't even have a pilot's license during this period!!! Kelly Johnson would have had to be clairvoyant as well as a brilliant engineer to know their fuel situation was they neared Howland!!!

FACT - Earhart made it close to Howland and was low on fuel (Possibly 4 hours at about 120 mph groundspeed depending on winds)
FACT - She was heard transmitting on her radio at a time when she probably ran out of fuel or landed her aircraft
FACT - (I'll repeat) The closest Japanese garrison was 800 miles away
FACT - The state of US/ Japanese relations in 1937 were not hostile

The only significant event that strained US/ Japanese relations at this time was the USS Panay incident which occurred months after Earhart's disappearance,

You keep bringing up theories but not a shread of evidence to support them. What does the tenacity of the Japanese soldier have to do with this?!? Dead witnesses?!? No supporting documentation and years of questionable witnesses. Bottom line, you're grasping at air to conger a conspiracy theory that doesn't exist.

I've read about the "Orona theory." Think about this - its war time1944 and the US discovers that Amelia Earhart was held captive since 1937 and then dies in Japanese captivity - THE GREATEST PIECE OF ANTI-JAPANESE PROPAGANDA SINCE PEARL HARBOR!!!

Don't you think someone would have wanted this news out to further rally the American People!!!

Is E=MC2 a theory? Maybe we should try turning coal into gold!

Last edited:
That's correct, FLYBOY.

The worst period between the western countries, especially America, and Japan was, if I may dare to say very simply, only 5 years from December 1941 to August 1945. There were many westernized Japanese people who were happy to speak English as well as French and German until 1940 when the local mass media like Asahi Shinbun which supported militarism strongly launched anti-English campaign. I must remark, however, that the navy did not necessarily obey the mood like the army as it was originally pro-British since its foundation in 1872.

Tojo was a countryman who did not understand the world but Yamamoto was a genuine military man who obeyed Emperor's order.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back