Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The early P-51 was armed with two .50MGs in the lower engine cowling, often referred to as "cheek guns".

The prototype didn't have them mounted, so the cowling was "clean".
If you re-read Post #1571 and #1576 you will see that drgondog indicates the photo is "Actually this is NA-73X prototype. Notice the rounded windshield and no cheek guns."

My response was to add an arrow in the photo pointing to what looks like a cheek gun cowl. I then specified to ask if he was referring to the guns specifically (only). If it doesn't have cheek gun cowls, what is my added arrow pointing too?

Last edited:
USAF North American F-51D Mustang at Johnson Air Base Japan 1952

s-l1600.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Great photo! There was a long...and drawn out...discussion on the Facebook Mustang page regarding the use of the name "Apache" for the A-36. The conclusion based on various documents dug up by members if the group show It was never formally adopted by the Military. The name does appear in a couple early NAA print advertisements but it never stuck. The A-36 is a Mustang.

Jim
Jim is 100% correct. The brief time USAAF Public Relations and NAA were involved in the Appache name for the NA-91 P-51-NA (Mustang IA) was between May and July 13, 1942 when Kindelberger asked that all NAA Pursuit a/c be named Mustang. The AAF officially cited all versions of P-51, including A-36, as Mustang.

View attachment 716385

I lived there for 15mo when my father was CO of 35th FG in 1948. Irv Ethell (Jeff's dad) was a squadron CO. We later joined up again when my father took the 3200 Maintenance/Test Wing at Eglin AFB and Irv again reported to him.

View attachment 716385

My dad was at Johnson, but a few years later. I was just looking at old home movies, the other day, he took while he was there.

North American P-51B-5 43-6737 CQ-U (354th FG, 355th FS, 9th AF) lost from unknown cause over Germany Apr 8, 1944. MACR 3561. Fate of pilot unknown.

s-l500.png

s-l1600.png

I really like these various photos of a crew chief, not just this thread, and "his plane". It was his plane, after all, he just let "some kid" sign for it and fly it. One can see the same look on the crew chief's face whether in front of German, Japanese, UK of US planes.

I really like these various photos of a crew chief, not just this thread, and "his plane". It was his plane, after all, he just let "some kid" sign for it and fly it. One can see the same look on the crew chief's face whether in front of German, Japanese, UK of US planes.
My father developed a life long friendship with his crew chief Gerry Thompson. Incidentally,this airfrae 44-72253 crashed on June 2, 1945. Purchased and 80% restored by Pacific Fighters, purchased and now being completed by Fagen Fighters. It will be restored as WR-B Jane VI

Attachments

• 355fg WRBbar_JaneVI Jerry Thompson-CC [thompson].jpg
    355fg WRBbar_JaneVI Jerry Thompson-CC [thompson].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 11
Incidentally,this airfrae 44-72253 crashed on June 2, 1945. Purchased and 80% restored by Pacific Fighters, purchased and now being completed by Fagen Fighters. It will be restored as WR-B Jane VI
Baugher North American P-51D-20-NA 44-72253 (354th FS, 355th FG, 8th AF) collided in midair with P-51D 44-14346 and crashed in England Jun 2,1944. Pilot survived, but aircraft was destroyed.

Jane VI Big Gas Bird picture 44-72253 | American Air Museum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back