North American P-51B-15-NA 42-106950, WR-P, (355th FG, 354th FS, " Iowa Beaut ") shot down by flak near Rechtenbach Sep 11, 1944. MACR 8676. Pilot KIA 11-09-1944 Monday
Macr 8676 Captain Rafferty's squadron was attached to escort duty with the B-24s that hit Magdeburg that day. On the return trip from the target, he was likely hit by Flak near Marburg. Missing Aircraft Crew Report 44-8676 was subsequently filed. Another pilot in the 355th wrote in the report:
"At about 1225 in the vicinity of Marburg Red Flight bounced at least 2-Me109's. In the break Captain Rafferty fell into number Four position. Red Flight chased the 109s over Marburg in trail. WR-P was flying nearly abreast of me and when my ship was hit I broke left while WR-P broke right. That was the last time that I saw him. I passed a P-51 headed East later but couldn't identify due to the fuselage being covered with oil. I heard a P-51 pilot calling for assistance but he didn't identify himself or gave location. I never saw him."
Captain Kevin Rafferty, USAAF, hailed from Fairfield County, Connecticutt, and was 29 years old at the time of his death. He had only been overseas a few months when his aircraft went missing, and is buried in the Ardennes American Cemetery in Neupre, Belgium. He is also commemorated on the Steeple Morden 355th Fighter Group War
Captain Kevin G. Rafferty, USAAF
View attachment 718435
View attachment 718436
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for WWII Original Photo US Military Aircraft P-51 Mustang at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com