eBay: North American P-51 Mustang (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

USAAF North America safety crew & airplane test

View attachment 702062

RAF NA-83. Six gun wing, centerline gun camera. XP-51 was NA-73 wih gun camera in left wing - outboard. US had no other NA-73 and zero NA-83s

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Malcolm hood G-WR ?

View attachment 702461

WR-G 354FS/355FG declared WW in September. Note the field mod DF applied in August. My father flew this one mission on D Day but shot down his Ju 87 in WR-Z

Last edited:
P-51B-5 43-6359 HQ, 354th FG, 9th AF) collided in midair with Me 410A near Koblenz, NW of Frankfurt, Germany Feb 11, 1944. MACR 2166. Pilot bailed out and became POW.
Col Kenneth R Martin, Commanding Officer of the 354th

not a 410 but 109G

View attachment 710113

GQ-E 43-6359 was Martin's ship, lost in mid air collision Feb 11, 43-6359, MACR 2165. That image is GQ-Z 43-6369 MIA with Radojits on Feb 8 -

That said, another great shot Snautzer.

I think I need an explanation on that part, which 18 B's are we talking about?
Brain Fart typo - 18 P-82Bs. There were 20 Merlin powered, high MP capable engines that made the P-82 pretty special compared to the Allisons they were forced to use post VE Day. The Allison auxiliary two stage/2 speed engine forced a significant reduction in power due to not solving detonation > 63"MP. NAA proposed a solution but Allison flipped them off.

Brain Fart typo - 18 P-82Bs. There were 20 Merlin powered, high MP capable engines that made the P-82 pretty special compared to the Allisons they were forced to use post VE Day. The Allison auxiliary two stage/2 speed engine forced a significant reduction in power due to not solving detonation > 63"MP. NAA proposed a solution but Allison flipped them off.
So true! The production F-82's sat without engines at the former Consolidated Vultee plant at Downey, CA due to unsatisfactory engiens. It is inexplicable to me that no one else adopted Stanley Hooker's brilliant liquid cooled intercooler/aftercooler. The lack of any cooling for the two-stage supercharged engines doomed the airplane.
And Allison did not just flip off NAA. As a division of General Motors they used their corporate connections to the 1st SECAF, Stuart Symington, to get the USAF to tell NAA to quit bellyachin.'

View attachment 646440
Wow...this is a really rare shot of the right side of Charles McCorkle's "Betty Jane" from the 31st Fighter Group. Awesome find!!

Jim

AG345

s-l1600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back