Eduard 1/32 - Bf-109E-4 'Weekend Edition'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys! I was a bit unsure about the color I used, but a night sleep made me think it was quite alright after all. The stripes are depicted in all kinds of colors when one looks up info on "Yellow 13" and for a start the boxarts shows it to be kinda like what I used (for what that's worth ofcourse) Research doesn't really confirm the colors and I've seen multiple interpretations of it all over, but given the date and circumstances I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was something hastily applied in the field, so I'm gonna stick with this now. Think of it as a bit of artistic licence. Today I sprayed an additional gloss coat to seal the striping pattern, which also helps to blend it all together quite a bit. Next up is the basic exhaust colors and then it's on to the decals I guess.

Last edited:
She looks great :D they should make a non cloging airbrush! :D Can't wait till that day :(

I've had second thoughts on how this striping came out. While not half bad in itself..it just doesn't cut it for me....it just doesn't look anything like Yellow 13....and I just can't seem to get it right in terms of airbrushing the pattern, and after 4 more or less failed attempts I'm quite done with that. Easiest option would be to make yellow 13, but without striping. Assuming it flew around at some point without it that is (and the yellow ID bands too). Other option would be 'Yellow 1' of 9/JG 26, Oblt Gerhardt Schopfel. Same thing but without stripes and some different markings ofcourse

Thanks Wayne.

About the striping, does any1 happen to have any tips on how to get this to look right as far as airbrushing goes? Masking, of sorts, freehand? How would you go about this?

Last edited:
Not sure what you're seeing wrong with it Jelmer. Me, I'd be doing these freehand myself.

I think once you get the decals on, you'll see it looks better.

Well...gave it another go nonetheless.....different needle/nozzle (0.15mm) different paint color to better match what's already there and again an attempt to do it freehand. I think I managed to spray a pattern on this time that is more close to the actual thing then on previous attempts. Ofcourse decals will also change the overall look of the thing...but to my mind is a better basis for the next step.

Attachments

• 67 - tijgervel veelste poging 01.JPG
    67 - tijgervel veelste poging 01.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 68 -  tijgervel veelste poging 02.JPG
    68 - tijgervel veelste poging 02.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 69 -  tijgervel veelste poging 03.JPG
    69 - tijgervel veelste poging 03.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 154
It was mostly the 'density' of the stripes and the non-matching color of the stripes that were bothering me. The clogging airbrush was a b*tch, but that on the earlier attempt I posted that wasn't something that could be fixed in itself.

Two shots of your actual rig Jelmer, if it helps, sourced off the net. Note how the pattern misses the insignia so you may want to get the decals on first? Or do what I've often done - make a false decal using tape and avoid the area when painting. Then when you're happy, put the decals on.

Attachments

• Yellow 13 9JG54.jpg
    Yellow 13 9JG54.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 172
  • 1-Bf-109E4-9_JG54-(Y13+)-Eberle-crash-landed-near-Kent-1940-02 2.jpg
    1-Bf-109E4-9_JG54-(Y13+)-Eberle-crash-landed-near-Kent-1940-02 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Andy. I already had a look at those pics and based on the profile in the instructions I already came to this conlusion...and as such attempted to take it into account when I made this new attempt. Still not 100% a copy of the actual thing....but pretty close I think. Also where it is obviously the case I think I managed to spray the pattern such that decals don't intervere with the pattern (unit badge and swastika area's being the most obvious I think)

Last edited:
Looks ok to me in either guise, although second attempt looks better. I was going to do the same scheme on'Yellow11', an E-3, for the BoB GB, but ran out of time due to the work needed to correct the Hasegawa 1/32nd scale kit. I had a quick practice, on a scrap model, doing the stripes free hand, close in, and it worked fine. Will get around to doing the model eventually!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back