Eduard 1/48 Spitfire F24 - 80 Sqn RAF

Discussion in 'Start to Finish Builds' started by Angels one-five, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Angels one-five

Defence Consultant
    Hi again guys. I'm just starting my next Spit, this time a Mk 24 from Eduard. Looking forward to it as it will be the first time I've used a resin detail set! I've had a read of the instructions and carried out a web search for top tips but am having some problems finding some answers to a couple of queries - that's where I was hoping you guys might be able to help out...!

First question is the cockpit interior colour - there seems to be conflicting advice out there - some suggesting interior green, others suggesting black in line with instructions to standardize Spitfire and Seafire night flying cockpits... Any suggestions?

Next is the colour of the seat - the kit instructions suggest interior green rather than the Bakelite brown we have grown to love...!

The kit instructions also say to use long rather than short cannon barrels - my understanding was that the short barrels were fitted to 24s, long to 22s

Finally (for now!!) is exterior colours - would the aircraft be correct in ocean grey, or would it have been finished in dark sea grey by 1951?

That's it for now - I'm hoping to get started soon, so will update pics as I go - advice welcomed! Also if anyone has found any decent pics of 80 Sqn Spits, I'd really appreciate seeing them.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

2. Crimea_River

Crimea_River Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your build Steve. Should be a great kit. Sorry I won't be much use to you on the questions as I don't have much on post war Spits.

3. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Quite a nice kit, originally the Airix mould, now with the slightly over-priced additions. The cockpit colours were the standard Cockpit Green (not Interior Green that's the American colour).
    You're correct re the cannon barrels.
    The seat was still the bakelite red/brown, although by this stage some had been re-painted black, and some in Cockpit Green!
    The exterior colours were as stated, the 'Ocean Grey' being the same as Dark Sea Grey (it was re-named, IIRC, in 1947).
    Note that 80 Sqn, in Hong Kong, had the blue tip on the white spinner.(Some instructions, including those for the Revell, ex-Matchbox 1/32nd scale kit, show a Sky spinner.) I should have some pics of their crates somewhere.
    You'll need to check the style of the serial numbers too, as there were 'square' and 'rounded' types used on the 22/24.
    Note that there's a 'triangular' moulding in the approximate position of the flap actuator, on top of the wing. This shouldn't be there.

4. Angels one-five

Defence Consultant
    Cheers Terry, that's great. Hoping to get started this evening.

Steve

5. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    You're welcome mate.