Eduard 1/48 Spitfire F24 - 80 Sqn RAF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Angels one-five

Airman 1st Class
Jun 29, 2009
Salisbury, UK
Hi again guys. I'm just starting my next Spit, this time a Mk 24 from Eduard. Looking forward to it as it will be the first time I've used a resin detail set! I've had a read of the instructions and carried out a web search for top tips but am having some problems finding some answers to a couple of queries - that's where I was hoping you guys might be able to help out...!

First question is the cockpit interior colour - there seems to be conflicting advice out there - some suggesting interior green, others suggesting black in line with instructions to standardize Spitfire and Seafire night flying cockpits... Any suggestions?

Next is the colour of the seat - the kit instructions suggest interior green rather than the Bakelite brown we have grown to love...!

The kit instructions also say to use long rather than short cannon barrels - my understanding was that the short barrels were fitted to 24s, long to 22s

Finally (for now!!) is exterior colours - would the aircraft be correct in ocean grey, or would it have been finished in dark sea grey by 1951?

That's it for now - I'm hoping to get started soon, so will update pics as I go - advice welcomed! Also if anyone has found any decent pics of 80 Sqn Spits, I'd really appreciate seeing them.

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Looking forward to your build Steve. Should be a great kit. Sorry I won't be much use to you on the questions as I don't have much on post war Spits.

Quite a nice kit, originally the Airix mould, now with the slightly over-priced additions. The cockpit colours were the standard Cockpit Green (not Interior Green that's the American colour).
You're correct re the cannon barrels.
The seat was still the bakelite red/brown, although by this stage some had been re-painted black, and some in Cockpit Green!
The exterior colours were as stated, the 'Ocean Grey' being the same as Dark Sea Grey (it was re-named, IIRC, in 1947).
Note that 80 Sqn, in Hong Kong, had the blue tip on the white spinner.(Some instructions, including those for the Revell, ex-Matchbox 1/32nd scale kit, show a Sky spinner.) I should have some pics of their crates somewhere.
You'll need to check the style of the serial numbers too, as there were 'square' and 'rounded' types used on the 22/24.
Note that there's a 'triangular' moulding in the approximate position of the flap actuator, on top of the wing. This shouldn't be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back