Erich Hartmann and his victories and overclaims over Hungary

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has gone from a ground hog thread to Monty Python, can we clarify whether it is a 5 minute argument or a ten minute one? A series of contradictions do not constitute an argument, unless of course they do.
You must be crazy! We are NOT having an argument, and I am unanimous in that, as quoted by Mrs. Slocum on many occasions!

How do you know the Dauntless pilot was credited with it? There is no after-action report that says Sakai's airplane was last seen flying away in a damaged state and I claim that as a victory. There is no way any US pilot could know who was flying what Japanese airplane. It may well have been credited as damaged and it is possible it was submitted as a victory, but we would have no real way of knowing for sure. So, how do you make that claim in here? Not dinging you; just curious about it.

As an aside, I met Saburo Sakai at Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, Arizona, U.S.A. in the 1980s and have a signed print that he signed when I bought it. He has just been for a ride in Bill Hane's P-51D Mustang and was in a very good mood. He never ever thought he'd get to fly in a WWII fighter again, let alone a U.S. fighter, and was delighted with it.

Cool guy. My print shows him in an A6M over Mount Fuji.
Worthless without a picture :)

You are contradicting yourself. I'm sorry but you make zero sense.

How is it not a victory? If a pilot shoots down another aircraft it was a victory.
It's not a victory because the aircraft was repaired.

If the pilot lands at base with a damaged aircraft and it gets repaired I don't count that.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand my view

If you think being victorious over a pilot regardless of whether or not the aircraft is destroyed counts as a victory then that's fine. I disagree and think that an aircraft has to be destroyed to count.

I often agree that one pilot beat another but this doesn't count as a victory to me if the plane wasn't destroyed

What you have is an opinion which unfortunately for you does not mean much when it comes to air combat.

What I believe is fact. If an aircraft is shot down, its a kill, and that is also how the people who actually have a dog in the fight (fighter pilots) believe as well.

In fact, lets ask an actual fighter pilot. BiffF15 BiffF15 , if you were to shoot down another aircraft, but it was eventually repaired and put back into service, would you be awarded a kill?

It's not a victory because the aircraft was repaired.

If the pilot lands at base with a damaged aircraft and it gets repaired I don't count that.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand my view

And how is the victorious pilot supposed to know it was repaired? Which does not matter anyhow.

I understand your point of view. I'm telling you its ridiculous.

How do you know the Dauntless pilot was credited with it? There is no after-action report that says Sakai's airplane was last seen flying away in a damaged state and I claim that as a victory. There is no way any US pilot could know who was flying what Japanese airplane. It may well have been credited as damaged and it is possible it was submitted as a victory, but we would have no real way of knowing for sure. So, how do you make that claim in here? Not dinging you; just curious about it.

As an aside, I met Saburo Sakai at Champlin Fighter Museum in Mesa, Arizona, U.S.A. in the 1980s and have a signed print that he signed when I bought it. He has just been for a ride in Bill Hane's P-51D Mustang and was in a very good mood. He never ever thought he'd get to fly in a WWII fighter again, let alone a U.S. fighter, and was delighted with it.

Cool guy. My print shows him in an A6M over Mount Fuji.
The SBD with Harold Jones (I think that's his name) was credited an A6M and he said he saw the Japanese pilot of the A6M get hit in the head and jump in his seat from the impact of the bullet. This matches what happened to Sakai who was hit in the eye. John Lundstrom wrote a book where he provides evidence that Jones was credited with an A6M. Sakaida talks about Jones seeing the pilot get hit in the head.

And how is the victorious pilot supposed to know it was repaired? Which does not matter anyhow.

You said my point of view makes no sense because I contradict myself. If it makes no sense how do you understand it?

Lipfert usually watched happened to his victim to make sure it crashed beyond repair. His accuracy over Hungary using my rules gives him over 90% accuracy. He usually had no problem working out if the aircraft would be repaired

Barkhorn also had a good idea if the aircraft would be repaired or not since using my definition he got 80% accuracy over Hungary

You must be crazy! We are NOT having an argument, and I am unanimous in that, as quoted by Mrs. Slocum on many occasions!
Unrelated to this, but do you know how to access USAAF combat reports? I'm trying to find the 318th Fighter Group's combat report for 28 May 1945. I want to see if a certain P-47 was written off after receiving damage from a Shiden Kai

Sakai Saburo was heavily wounded on 7 August 1942 with his eye being hit and he had to fly back to Rabaul with serious injuries and a damaged aircraft. The SBD Dauntless that hit Sakai was credited with a victory even though Sakai landed back at base with a damaged aircraft and wounds. The aircraft was repaired and Sakai only returned to combat in 1944. Would this be a victory for the SBD? They were credited with it. In my opinion no it's not but other people would say it is.
In the context of days battle, yes. Sakai Saburo returned to combat eventually out of the IJNAF's desperate need for pilots. Any pilot. A one eyed pilot, no matter how skilled, isn't usually cleared for front line operations. His plane was removed from combat that day.

I think this is rather easily settled by saying we are all glad you, CHen10, are not sitting on our review board when we submit for a victory credit. It's not Earth-shaking.

I think we ALL get your opinion; it's clear. It's just that no country's military aviation branches anywhere share your opinion of what constitutes a victory credit. Nor does the general opinion in this forum.

The Rolling Stones have a song out that says it clearly, "You Can't Always Get What You Want." But, if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need.

So, you need to understand that we simply do NOT agree. Why can't YOU understand that? It is easy. You need to find a way to accept that. There will be less confusion and arguments in your life.

It doesn't mean you can't come up with your own victory credit list. It's just that your new list will not match anyone else's list. Perhaps that's OK with you.

Lipfert usually watched happened to his victim to make sure it crashed beyond repair. His accuracy over Hungary using my rules gives him over 90% accuracy. He usually had no problem working out if the aircraft would be repaired

Have you actually been in combat? Do you think you have the time often to turn your back on other enemy so you can watch?

Thats still regardless though. Even if he watched the plane belly into the ground, it still could have been retrieved and repaired weeks later. How would he know that?

Your opinion does not hold up.

I think this is rather easily settled by saying we are all glad you, CHen10, are not sitting on our review board when we submit for a victory credit. It's not Earth-shaking.

I think we ALL get your opinion; it's clear. It's just that no country's military aviation branches anywhere share your opinion of what constitutes a victory credit. Nor does the general opinion in this forum.

The Rolling Stones have a song out that says it clearly, "You Can't Always Get What You Want." But, if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need.

So, you need to understand that we simply do NOT agree. Why can't YOU understand that? It is easy. You need to find a way to accept that. There will be less confusion and arguments in your life.

It doesn't mean you can't come up with your own victory credit list. It's just that your new list will not match anyone else's list. Perhaps that's OK with you.

Ding, ding, ding…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back