FAA F4U-1A Corsair

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
Here is a late Pacific War Corsair of the Royal Navy. The kit is 1/72 from Airfix.
Ed

Attachments

• DSC04365.jpg
    DSC04365.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC04341.jpg
    DSC04341.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC04340.jpg
    DSC04340.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC04329.jpg
    DSC04329.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC04328.jpg
    DSC04328.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 155
Yep, nice looking model. The Corsair has always been a favorite of mine.

A4K - Right. The Corsair was spot-welded from the empennage forward. No rivets were used. The empennage was standard rivet construction utilizing flush riveting throughout. No button-head (protruding) rivets were used at all on the exposed (slipstream) part of the airframe. What might appear as rivet indentations (pinched skin) on the forward fuselage were simply the individual spot welds. This technique saved a lot of weight and gave a smoother aerodynamic to the exterior skins. Spot welding was a technique developed by the Naval Aircraft Factory and Vought. I don't know why it wasn't further developed as a universal construction technique on "disposable" combat aircraft where thru-skin access wasn't necessary.

Model makers take certain liberties with their moulds. This one obviously missed the mark but I'm guessing the lack of knowledge on the modelers end contributes to these "mistakes". Modelers want detail, moulders answer the call. I say that because moulders must first get their details, measurements and specifications from the actual aircraft prior to machining their moulds. They know everything there is to know about each type before mould-making drawings are even started. Evidence of this is the older raised panel lines, which I prefer because they're easier to sand off than it is to fill the exaggerated recessed panel lines of currently produced kits. One day true-scale accuracy will be available from one or more companies. It's not there yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back