Facebook

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I like facebook for the ability to stay in touch with friends and family in a real-time medium.

The downside to this, is the alarming habit of people, particularly younger folks, to believe some of the crap that floats around on those sites.

Here's a classic example:

OD_C-27_misinfo.jpg

It's a "meme" issued by a group called "occupy democrats" that constantly pumps out misinformation and a large share of people take these as gospel instead of a quick fact-check - which is that the C-27s ended up in Coast Guard, USFS and SOCOM service and are currently in service.

I do recall back in the day, before the internet, that there were pyramid schemes, tabloids, gossip columns and all sorts of shenanigans by the day's current medium (mail, news stands, TV, radio and even CB radios). So where ever there's people, there'll be this sort of thing.

So social media can be a great thing, if you just side-step the nonsense and oxygen thieves! :lol:

Dave, you done made my point for me. Real time contact used to be called "pick up the phone and talk"
Now every Cretin that can type has a platform. I just don't understand the draw these sites exert.
Why subject yourself to all the crepe just to find the occasional nugget

There's actually tools to adjust what you see and from who. I have some friends that do, for some reason, buy into these nonsense "memes" and I just pretty much ignore those.

However, the way it works, is that your "feed" only shows what your friends and family are sharing. You won't be seeing activity from random people and such, so for example, if you were a member of our facebook's ww2aircraft group, you'd be seeing Jan's posts appear in you "feed". If you were also friends with Flyboy or Herr Adler, you'd see their posts when they go flying (always an occasion for jealousy on my part) or being friends with Aaron gets you to see his occasional posts of great landscape photos he takes. And of course, being friends with Eric means I get to see his phenomenal aerial shots or aircraft shots from Oshkosh, which is yet another source of jealousy!

So there is actually a great deal of merit to being aboard facebook

Dave, those things sound great and indeed that would be a plus but then again they also put that stuff on the forum.
Different strokes for different folks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back