Facts or fiction....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Troy, Atlantis, Bermuda Triangle, Solomon's mines.....etc. Are these just imaginary, fiction, myths and so on, or is it more to it?

It's a fact.... more a/c and ships have disappered in Lake Michigan.
There are more warbirds in Lake Michigan that you could dream about.
They use to train pilots in Lake Michigan on a side wheel aircraft carrier,
USS Wolverine....

Charles

Long story short...

Troy - Pretty decent archeological evidence that the city existed.

Atlantis - myth, no credible evidence, physical or otherwise

Bermuda Triangle - if you believe in the Bermuda Triangle, better seek medical help

Solomon's mines - doubtful, but who knows :?: :?: :?:

TO

They are ALL true! I was having a cup of coffee in the Lost Dutchman Mine with Paul Bunyan and Bigfoot and they both told me so.(they did not actually speak. They used telepathy to tell me):p

Robert Ballard that found the Titanic and the Bismarck said he would love to find Atlantis, but he also said that it would be hard to find something like it, because there are not much pointing towards it.

I have a book about the Bermuda Triangle. It confirms that the amount of "unexplained" missings in these waters is not above avarage for other parts of the ocean, so it is an illusion.
About Troy, there probably was a big city which could have been Troy, no evidence about the war that Homerus wrote, tho.

Marcel,

There is evidence that Troy existed and that there was a large invasion and siege of the city from the Greek cities. In Hittite histories there is a city mentioned that, by their description, is in the exact same place as where Homer put it. They have discovered the remains of the said city, and they have found the wall that Agamemmnon built to keep out the Dorians before setting out to Troy.

Like most Greek mythology, Troy was fact-based fiction. Agamemmnon did not launch a thousand ships to rescue his wife; the Greeks assaulted Troy because of its vast wealth - it was in Hellespont, an important area to control for all trade coming through the straits from the Aegean to Black Sea. The Greeks wanted wealth, and Troy was a perfect place to acquire it.

As Troy was an indepedant city in Hittite terrority it was mentioned by them but they did not defend her. The Greeks successfully assaulted Troy; no Trojan Horse was used - according to evidence.

Only 2 manuscripts(Timaeus and Critias) wrtten by Plato describe Atlantis. Current thinking suggests Plato is describing an ideal society based on an ideal of Athens.

Troy is part of an oral tradition that was eventually written down long,long,long after the event(similar to the bible). Just like chinese whispers the original version does distort. Both Troy and various cities/places described in Bible(nothing on Solomons mines) have very strong archeological evidence to support their existance.

The Bermuda triangle is an extremely busy shipping lane with not much in road side assitance.

Marcel,

There is evidence that Troy existed and that there was a large invasion and siege of the city from the Greek cities. In Hittite histories there is a city mentioned that, by their description, is in the exact same place as where Homer put it. They have discovered the remains of the said city, and they have found the wall that Agamemmnon built to keep out the Dorians before setting out to Troy.

Like most Greek mythology, Troy was fact-based fiction. Agamemmnon did not launch a thousand ships to rescue his wife; the Greeks assaulted Troy because of its vast wealth - it was in Hellespont, an important area to control for all trade coming through the straits from the Aegean to Black Sea. The Greeks wanted wealth, and Troy was a perfect place to acquire it.

As Troy was an indepedant city in Hittite terrority it was mentioned by them but they did not defend her. The Greeks successfully assaulted Troy; no Trojan Horse was used - according to evidence.

Thanks Plan.

Time for another one of my "old seafarer tales" One night during my first tour in a P-3 squadron we were flying back to our deployment site at NAS Bermuda from Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. I was in the port rear observers spot which is just aft of the main cabin door and has a nice big, round fish bowl like window. It was approx. 2200 hrs with a clear, star lit sky. I was just dozing off thinking about how this flight was running along the boundary of the Bermuda triangle and how often I'd flown through the triangle over my tour when all of a sudden KA-BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked out the window and saw a ton of sparks shoot past and a deep red glow where the #2 engine turbine was located. The PPC (Patrol Plane Commander), the PP2P (Patrol Plane 2nd Pilot) and the Flight Engineer started going thru the Engine Fire procedure and calling for confirmation on #2 eng. We ended up landing at NAS Jacksonville, FL. with the station crash crew in full attendance and only one good tire on the port main mount. The cause of all the excitement was a catastrophic failure of the #1 bearing in the turbine. The whole thing seized up and blew apart. It took out the long tailpipe and the two tailpipe covers that are mounted over the wing and #2 fuel tank(!!!) the turbine mounts and assorted structural components in the area. It took over 2 1/2months to restore the a/c. True story......and that was the last time I thought about the Triangle while I was flying in it! You just don't mess with the Ju-Ju!:shock:

As I have been reading about the Peloponnesian War I have come across Troy being mentioned during the final stages of the war which took place in Hellespont during 411 BC.

As the Syracusan general Doreius sailed north from Rhodes to Hellespont he was intercepted by Athentian vessels on entry to the straits. It's said that upon hearing of his reinforcements peril the Spartan commander Mindarus rushed from Troy to his base nearby at Abydos.

zpage088.gif

You can see Troy to the south of Abydos [the Spartan base] - across the Hellespont is Sestos which was the Athenian base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back