Fighting occupations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What was the hardest fighting country under occuption in WW2

This is a very difficult thing to determine. All countries occupied under the Nazis had various forms of resistance by various groups of people and individuals. Whether it was a passive or active resistance, it is important to realize that an armed or spiritual rebellion against an enemy occupation is nothing to be taken lightly, and was always done under the most dangerous conditions and circumstances, and also with the knowledge that reprisals against the members themselves or against the civilian population as a whole was a strong likelyhood.

I think in this respect, it is mostly important to acknowledge that -

1-various resistance movements were active during the war throughout Europe, whether as organized or loosley organized goups, or as individuals.

2-their contributions however large or small, was invaluable to the overall Allied cause, whether it was through direct action or through intelligence gathering.

3-Even though I'm personally certain the Allies would have eventually won the war regardless, I'm equally certain that without the various resistance movements, the war could have possibly lasted longer, and Allied military casualties would have undoubtedly been much higher.

Having said that, I don't think this is a subject one can easily gauge with a slide-rule, nor do I wish to imagine for a moment what it was like to live in a country occupied by a foreign enemy power. I'm just very grateful such peoples did exist, and did their part, and that as a testimony to the human spirit faced with tremendous odds, their sacrifices and efforts are never forgotten.

Poland- we fougt against nazis and bolsheviks from 1939 until 1945...

define "hardest fighting " and a country under occupation".
For example european region of Russia was under occupation in a large part, does Russia fit to your definition then?

Not as ez as I was thinking .. "hardest fighting" .. Those who keep on fight and sneaking around to do so... And any country that had a occupation force in it ...Russia also Axis or Allied and or ...

Part of this is to bring out those brave people that keep fighting ..You (I) never realy here about ...

I'm going with Yugoslavia the only nation to liberate itself and the Poles would be a close second they gotta really done over by the Russians in 39 and 44

PB has a point, there. Yugoslavia and Poland, gotta give them credit. Yugo for freeing themselves (possibly the only 100% successful underground movement?), and Poland gets the sympathy vote for being in the worst possible geographic location....screwed by Russia, then Germany, then both, then Russia again....all in one war.

ETA: I still will have to deviate slightly from topic and say that ANY resistance movement, if they hindered the occupying forces in any way, would have to be considered successful. My hat's off to any man or woman who was a member of the Resistance in any country. In a way, they all had it worse than any soldier did, since they were not protected by the Geneva Convention. Summary execution (quick and painless) was the best most of them could look forward to.

i believe that we should not define the hardest
some fought longer and better than others, but the others still fought,
i believe that all the resistances are worthy of our admiration
i belive that any resistance was hard, it's hard and will be always hard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back