Finding home

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by pmangelos, Feb 26, 2006.

1. pmangelos

pmangelos New Member

I was wondering if someone could give me an explination on haw a WWII Naval aviator was able to find his way back to his aircraft carrier after a mission. I understand that plotting boards were used by pilots, I have seen numerous photos of pilots with these boards and read where they have been mentioned, but I have no idea on how these were used to make it back to a moving ship while the pilot was away and possible engaged with the enemy. If anyone can shed some light on how this was done, I am very interested in listening. Thanks in advance.
    Paul

2. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    There were low frequency nav aids used that enabled the pilot to home in on his carrier.

3. pmangelos

pmangelos New Member

Thanks for the reply. What prevented the enemy from using these signals to find the ships?

4. pbfoot

pbfoot Active Member

there were tons of frequencies to monitor and once you determined the freq dispersing the info would have been a lengthy process to get the info to the closest resource so he could action it (co-ordination) the carrier group would be moving and the navaids would have more then likely been used only when needed