Finding home (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pmangelos

Recruit
Feb 26, 2006
CA
I was wondering if someone could give me an explination on haw a WWII Naval aviator was able to find his way back to his aircraft carrier after a mission. I understand that plotting boards were used by pilots, I have seen numerous photos of pilots with these boards and read where they have been mentioned, but I have no idea on how these were used to make it back to a moving ship while the pilot was away and possible engaged with the enemy. If anyone can shed some light on how this was done, I am very interested in listening. Thanks in advance.
Paul

pmangelos said:
I was wondering if someone could give me an explination on haw a WWII Naval aviator was able to find his way back to his aircraft carrier after a mission. I understand that plotting boards were used by pilots, I have seen numerous photos of pilots with these boards and read where they have been mentioned, but I have no idea on how these were used to make it back to a moving ship while the pilot was away and possible engaged with the enemy. If anyone can shed some light on how this was done, I am very interested in listening. Thanks in advance.
Paul

There were low frequency nav aids used that enabled the pilot to home in on his carrier.

there were tons of frequencies to monitor and once you determined the freq dispersing the info would have been a lengthy process to get the info to the closest resource so he could action it (co-ordination) the carrier group would be moving and the navaids would have more then likely been used only when needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back