**** FINISHED: GB-49 1/48 PR-XIX Spitfire - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
User Name: .......N4521U
Name: ................Bill
Category: ..........Advanced
Kit: .....................Airfix PR.XIX Spitfire
Scale: .................1/48
Extras................. None, scratch built table!

This one was a pleasure. Airfix is turning out some good stuff. Fits were really good, any problems were self inflicted. I used SMS paints, lacquer and they were osogood in the airbrush. I hate using the airbrush any more. But these cleaned up nicely. Some of the photos seamed to change colours, the blue turned everything blue in some, had to reshoot a couple!
Cheers, Bill
GB39 F1.jpg
GB39 F2.jpg
GB39 F3.jpg
GB39 F4.jpg
GB39 F5.jpg
GB39 F6.jpg
GB39 F7.jpg

Outstanding I am glad I decided not to go for a PRXIX for my entry. It would have disappeared besides this beauty.

I am glad you have gone without weathering. I don't care for the fashion for finishing planes to look as though they have been used for ploughing a muddy field.

Oh to have such talent! I'm way in the back field but some day!

As for weathering, the 'muddy field' comment fits all to often. But a subtle panel line treatment does seem to enhance the looks. Depends on model, and colors,of course, but in general a bit of extra detail is good, if one knows how to apply with the minimum required. Well done...

Any teeeeny parts??

Oh to have such talent! I'm way in the back field but some day!
Any teeeeny parts??

Talent?
When I joined up here I was doing 1/72nd stuff, and painting the Inside of the canopies white so I didn't have to do cockpits!
That's how far this group has taken me......... good examples in here along with good people who will do anything to help you get your best result!

Beautiful job Bill!

Hoping my Uncle can answer a few questions on her, like if wingwalk marking was also applied to starboard wing, etc. Will let you know when I do!

As for the finish, it is exactly right! Uncle George kept her clean - no exhaust stains, no scratches, and the only noticable panel lines the fuel tank panel (behind the cowl) and the vertical one halfway along the spine.

Beautiful job Bill!

Hoping my Uncle can answer a few questions on her, like if wingwalk marking was also applied to starboard wing, etc. Will let you know when I do!

As for the finish, it is exactly right! Uncle George kept her clean - no exhaust stains, no scratches, and the only noticable panel lines the fuel tank panel (behind the cowl) and the vertical one halfway along the spine.
I'm glad to hear I've done her justice!
Thanks

Got a great letter from Uncle George - he was able to answer most of my questions, and even sent some new photos!
Quoted directly from letter (my clarifications in brackets):

'Firstly I will try to answer your queries regarding Spitfires (specifically, PS888) bearing in mind that this was 67 years ago.
1. The cockpit colour remained Green.
2. The armour plating (behind pilot's seat) had been removed.
3. The spinner was always White. (ie, no Airfix two tone scheme, or very pale Blue, as PS890 is said to have been)
4. As I recall the under cart bays (colour) as the lower fuselage. (ie., PRU Blue)
5. Wingwalks were on both wings, were of a rough material.
6. 888 was kept clean at all times.

'Now to the other points.
I painted 'The Last' a couple of hours after she completed her final sortie and it remained until she was sold to the Thai Air Force, which I believe was in early '55.
Regarding the cameras they were carried out and fitted by hand'

Very grateful to him for that, and he finished by saying he hopes this is of some help and interest to me and my friends ( I mentioned your build Bill).
I would just add to that that I hope it will help others in future to make accurate builds of PS888!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back