Fire in California

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

just got this from my brother 5 minutes ago, he is in San Marcos

we are currently out of harms way. Just breathing the puky air. The fire
closest to us is contained. The other fires are still going hard.
300,000+ people have been evacuated. The witch fire is heading toward
the coast so it is doing some major damage along the way. It is
currently going through the most expensive area in San Diego county. Over
600+ homes are toast. Another fire broke out this morning in another
area north of us. This place is a mess.

to add to the crap already going on, from my bro further ......

Winds are predicted to continue through today with a possible change
tomorrow. The temps are up today. It was 80 degrees when I left at
630AM.

Mazda Motor of America has it's HQ in Irvine, CA. We got the word today
that they are closed because of the smoke. Must be really nasty out there.

You guys in CA..... be safe... !

Charles

Mazda Motor of America has it's HQ in Irvine, CA. We got the word today
that they are closed because of the smoke. Must be really nasty out there.

You guys in CA..... be safe... !

Charles

I'm in Irvine right now, and it isnt bad at all. I will take some pics and post them tonight.

Have they determined if we are dealing with arson?

stupid question... some of it has to be arson. Any arsonist should be burnt alive VERY slowly (preferably from the inside out.)

The fire here was definatly arson. Three known points of origion, close by each other.

The arsonist knew what they were doing and picked a damn good place and time to start it.

The same thing happened in Greece this summer... they considered it an act of terror.

In the "good old days" arsonists were just sociopaths that got a charge out of watching fire. Now it seems that they're able to orchestrate conflagrations that cripple economies and displace hundreds of thousands.

513,000 in one county told to leave!

Winds are predicted to continue through today with a possible change
tomorrow. The temps are up today. It was 80 degrees

What has been and is the direction of the wind? Is that dry one from the desert up north? I was in the area in 1982 for a month and a half.

I grew up in San Diego and have spend the last 24 hrs trying to cantact family and friends.
I have one one friend who's living in a office with her family, dogs and birds.
Another friend who contacted me just a few minutes ago and is okay.
I have have another freind who lives in Portland from San Diego who's entire extended family has been evacuated.
The best news of all was finally getting ahold of my Dad after trying to reach him all day after hearing reports of what's happining in Chula Vista, and finding out he's out of the danger area.
I went through the 2003 firestorm out there and I can't even think of what it's like this time.
Art

This just reported on the news here:

Over 500, 000 evacuated - largest in history, larger than Katrina.

Over 300,000 acres involved (my number might be off - could be 30,000)

And over 8,000 firefighters involved with calls for more.

You guys stay out of harm's way, please.

Definitely over 300,000. The fire closest to me was over 41,000 acres this morning. There are not enough resources to deal with this many fires all at once. We have WAY too few air resources for these fires and the C-130 tankers are finally on their way or have arrived in the last couple of hours. If Katrina hasn't proven it to any of you Americans, this is your second wake up call. Be prepared, the government will do the bare minimum to help you after plenty of delays. The bureaucracy will keep the help from getting to you for days. Be prepared to be able to sustain yourself for at least 2 weeks. Plenty of food and water, propane tanks, whatever other things you will need like medications and the like.

One thing that needs to be debated is the fact that some of the burn area's are repeats from only a few years ago.

Its time we say that if you're going to build in a hazardous area, you take your chances.

I bet nearly all of the states fire resources that have been used or spent in the past 30 years have gone to only a few area's, over and over and over.

let us look at it this way guys, no-one on this earth can control the wind, and that has been the fire-fighters worst enemy, same applied in the wilderness here outside of my town, embers went sailing from north to south and started up 3 other crazy fires burning down 20 miles into the coast range of Cali and then God thank you, the wind turned back on itself and put the southern fires out but extended the northern Florence sector north to the small river resort of Galice where locals evac'd asap ! the fire was coming over the ridge down on them on some of the steepest terrain the west coast has to offer - no-one or plane nor helicopter was going to put that ugly out except by the hand of God and HE did just that, the wind again turned the fire on itself

the same needs to apply here prayerfully the wind will turn away and the fires back on burned soil

500,00 souls moved to where ? and on a freeway system large, yes but not that large

hang in there you guys and by the way some of Oregons best have come down to help including the mighty Crane helicopters, which are easily identifiable as they are massive

Eric - As one of the repubs in the debates the other night said, "and these are the people you want managing your healthcare?!"
Sure is look at the proper aircraft to fight fires your on the ocean endless supply of water and your having hueys dip there little buckets take a look what the 215 and 415's from the place of socialized medicine can do . It actually is a better arguement for them . How many lifts can they do an hour compared to a 130 .

Attachments

• tanker910a_2.jpg
    tanker910a_2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 156
Cosimo, just heard they brought that sucker in and are using it.

And Evangilder, I was going to comment on what you were thinking. The news here reported that unlike Katrina, Disaster Relief forces are working like clockwork for the people. Now, the claim is that Katrina showed them how to do it but I'm waiting for Al Sharpton to get ahold of it. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back