Fires in California

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Man this one is nasty, been thru a couple here in Colorado and it's amazing how helpless you feel sometimes. Found a quick way to grab thing was lay a blanket down and throw items on that and carry out, one trip versus many in and out of the house. Also purchased a very good safe. Also used rubber maid containers for files which we dropped off at a friends house just in case...Good luck

Impressive, finally they decide to use it? Think the Russians have a jumbo version also, they have offered the use of it in the past but the US govt said no...

Amazing close to the truth. Then those guys want the state to bail them out!

Lets hope karma doesn't get me and the hurricanes stay away from FL.

Its does seem like a yearly ritual...

Stay tuned for the sequel "MUDSLIDE"..... after the fire comes the mudslide.

The Evergreen 747 tanker got involved yesterday too. 8)
We had Evergreen's DC-10 over-fly the area last year, doing a survey, but it was decided as being too risky. The Mars was almost called off due to the risks, but it remained in service here until September.
Impressive, finally they decide to use it? Think the Russians have a jumbo version also, they have offered the use of it in the past but the US govt said no...
Not sure that the Feds would not allow the Russian tanker, I think it would be more along the lines of need versus cost. We have Canadian tankers assist on fires up here on occasion, matter of fact, the Mars is operated by Coulson out of B.C.

Eric how is visibility for you folk, or is the grey/brown smut down at ground level ?

any of you guys remember what happened to us in 03 ? Bisquit/florence and dip-Sh*t fires, the largest ever in the states.

one of the stupidest cockamamy controlled fires ever in the history of mankind, due to lighting storms that caused two small fires, and due to the approx in a so-called protected area the forest servie decided to let the burn go.........idiots ! it ripped up 10,000 acres plus that evening and was totally out of control all summer into the November rainy season. over 500,000 acres was toasted.

Lets hope that whatever-or whom here in So. Cali gets caught and the fires get under control soon. I have a relative fighting in the mess right now

Wouldn't be surpreised to see the CL215's and 415"s head down but there from Ontario and Quebec if they still aren't being used in British Cloumbia which has also had a bad fire season. There was I heard a small problem with some folks down there not wanting Canadian Tankers as they are not "buy american"

You won't hear that from us around here, pb!

Always a welcome sight to see the Canadians jumping into the fray!

Same goes for the Australian firefighters that have come over to fight fires in the past. Heck, last year, we even had some Greek firefighters out on the lines.

We're always grateful for all the help we can get and you know that a large majority of American firefighters that go abroad to help other countries with thier wildfires are West Coasters

Idiots sayin that are usually the ones sitting safely in their condos a hundred miles away from the action. Pop a small grass fire a mile from their doorstep, and they'll be screaming for every civilized nation on the face of the planet to save their precious arses.

Folks, Denver is covered in haze from the California fires and from one in the south west portion of the state. I went out flying with a student in the late after noon - haze 4 to 6 miles visibility. There were times at certain altitudes we were in "the soup." Great for IFR training!

4 to 6 miles of visibility, Joe? That's damn good compared to what we have right now. Even in my neck of the woods, quite a distance from the fire, we had a blood red sunset and a lot of smoke. We are getting some falling ash at the office.

The good news is that the fire only grew another 6,000 acres today. While no small number, that is a big victory for the firefighters, who also now have 22% containment. They have cut over 50 miles of fire break and plan to do 93 more miles of it.

It's one big bad mother, but the firefighters from all over, with the help of air support from all over the state and from Canada with the super scoopers and the Martin Mars, they are starting to make some headway. After a week+ of 100+ degree heat and firefighting, my hat goes off to the firefighters.

Mt Wilson has been the scene of a flurry of activity today with backfires and some Mars passes. Looks like they may save it after all, thankfully.

Great news from Mount Wilson! From the MWO site blog:

True. IMO last year was worse, at least in this area. From the north bay I haven't noticed much smoke or haze.

interesting guys, if you would google :

national forest fires and find the link at the top: the Interagency and sublink they report from the official Angeles site that the fire now is over 140,000 acres and 22 % contained..........lets hope so

you guys need some thumping rain to clear that stuff out and burn back on itself. 26 days of 100F and over here we are so surprised we have not been burnt to a cider up this way

Erich, part of the problem here is decades of fire control have left us with an intolerable amount of hot burning fuel laying around.

We have to pay the devils his due on this one.

Better to let this fire clear out the brush and fuel while the wind conditions are good, than have to revisit this under Santa Ana winds that will make it impossible to control.

BTW, 140,000 acres = 218 square miles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread