First 8th AF Piggy Back Rescue

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fascinating stuff Bill!
It often amazes me that people, including 'enthusiasts', and those that use flight sim games, very often don't consider, or realize, how weather effects flying, even day to day civilian light aircraft flying. Until I got this stupid Arthritis disease, I used to fly from a small grass strip in the North of England. To the North, East and a bit further South of the field, is some of the notorious high ground that claimed many a kite during the war, and since. It was possible to fly West, to the coast, and encounter almost all four seasons in the course of the 30 minute flight! Those relatively minor hazards were bad enough.
When I try to explain to 'youngsters' the difficulties and problems encountered, day to day, by military pilots in WW2, I have to start by describing 'normal' flying in modern light aircraft, then add the parts about performance, and all the possibly fatal consequences if the particular aircraft was not handled, and respected correctly. THEN, I can (attempt) to describe what it must have been like to perform, not only complex (and potentially dangerous) aerobatics whilst avoiding collision in a crowded sky, but at the same time either desperately trying to avoid being hit by enemy fire, or trying to fire at an enemy. Then trying to explain that, when it's all over, having to figure out where the heck you are, and navigate back 'home' some 600 or 900 miles, in poor visibility, across hostile territory and an equally hostile and unforgiving ocean; all with just very basic aids! Takes some describing, and still some people can't comprehend.
To me, anyone who flew and fought in that conflict, and survived, deserves more respect than I know how to express.
Thanks again for the detailed insight Bill.
Terry.

My son just found this posting from Drgondog and sent it to me from a little over a year ago. I've never replied before and no one may ever see this post, but here goes. Royce Priest was my cousin (2nd cousin actually) and beyond the heroics that Drgondog described in his letter and posting, Royce was even a greater "Man" than he was a hero. And, that obviously says a lot after you read his story. He was just a man with class, integrity, humility, incredible inner strength, compassion and yes, very big brass ones. Unless you knew who he was personally or his story you would never know he was the guy in this story, or would be the guy who pulled off such a rescue. He never bragged about things and never even discussed the things he had accomplished. He was one of those men that you just enjoyed being around. I recall many of my fondest childhood memories included visiting Cousin Royce and his children. I think another way to judge a man's worth or success on earth is to look at his family and Royce and his beautiful wife raised an incredible family that all loved him dearly. The world lost a great man when Royce passed and I look forward to the day I meet him again in heaven. He was simply the "Best".

Agreed, BeamDog. The greatest heroes are usually the quietest guys you'll meet. They know they have nothing more to prove to the world, and are often embarrassed at the attention. Just from this thread, I know that Royce Priest was a man I would have loved to have met. :salute:

BeamDog - as you probably know, Deacon and dad were best friends and remained best friends. I haven't talked to Anita lately but I am in contact with Patsy (er, Col Patricia Priest - USAF Ret'd)

He was everything you said about him. Send me your address via Pm - I have something for you

Bill Marshall

Like Terry I have read about the rescue, but not in such wonderful detail. Thanks drdondog!

Brave and articulate!

Not unique in history? I vaguely remember reading of other piggy-back rescues in the conflict? Having never sat in a WWII fighter aircraft, I'm ignorant of the spaces involved, but if you could pick the aircraft prior, would a P-38 be a better choice? Or is Bong's wife simply petite?..

Graeme - I forgot to reply to this - Cactus Jack Ilfrey pulled it off ~Nov 20th to pick up a wingman but the Group CO didn't publicize it because Ilfrey had a penchant for getting in trouble and Doolitle had issued specific orders to' not do it again'.. the Green picked up McKinnon on March 18, 1945 and of course the 4th FG publicized it greatly as the 'first Piggy Back Reascue'... lol!

Very cool, detailed story. Thanks for sharing it. I recently finished "An Ace of the Eighth" by Bud Fortier which is a good read about the 355th FG in WWII. He covers this event in the book.

Cheers,
Troy

Bud was a very close friend of my father and Priest - and I miss him. He has been gone for 5 years now. and priest for 5 1/2.

Amazing, uplifting story DG

Please forgive me for stealing your thunder, but in a strange way, this remnds me of my grandad. A member of the 7th Light Horse, AIF, he and another guy named Doyle at the very end of the war (1918) were the only two original members of the regiment that joined in 1914.

Towards the end, Doyle was leading a patrol, but this patrol was badly shot up, including Doyle. Someone tried to go to their aid, but got shot themselves. That evening, my grandfather rode out and saved two men, brougyht them back on his horse.

My grandad was never decorated for this, because the officers never knew about it. Doyle was the only other survivor, the other man died of wounds. But Doyle had been shot in the spine, and never walked again. I met him only once, when I was twelve. My granfather hated Anzac day, never marched, but sometimes he would travel to see Doyle in the nursing home. I met Doyle that way once, and he told me what my grandfather had done. My grandad, never talked about it.

They just dont make em like that anymore

Amazing, uplifting story DG

Please forgive me for stealing your thunder, but in a strange way, this remnds me of my grandad. A member of the 7th Light Horse, AIF, he and another guy named Doyle at the very end of the war (1918) were the only two original members of the regiment that joined in 1914.

Towards the end, Doyle was leading a patrol, but this patrol was badly shot up, including Doyle. Someone tried to go to their aid, but got shot themselves. That evening, my grandfather rode out and saved two men, brougyht them back on his horse.

My grandad was never decorated for this, because the officers never knew about it. Doyle was the only other survivor, the other man died of wounds. But Doyle had been shot in the spine, and never walked again. I met him only once, when I was twelve. My granfather hated Anzac day, never marched, but sometimes he would travel to see Doyle in the nursing home. I met Doyle that way once, and he told me what my grandfather had done. My grandad, never talked about it.

They just dont make em like that anymore

hell of a story.

I believe that soldiers will always have that kinship or bond that compel them to do things when their brains are shrieking to 'go in a different direction'. The medals that commemorate them are secondary to the acts themselves.

I'm sure your graddad did not feel diminished by not having some formal recognition.

Now that is some-one I call a real hero !:salute:

I guess it was just a 'spur of the moment' thing to do, 'cause sure as h*ll if you sat down and thought about doing that rescue, you'd heed what your boss saying and hightail it out of there pronto !.

Many thanks for sharing that incredible story

Like Terry I have read about the rescue, but not in such wonderful detail. Thanks drdondog!

Brave and articulate!

Not unique in history? I vaguely remember reading of other piggy-back rescues in the conflict? Having never sat in a WWII fighter aircraft, I'm ignorant of the spaces involved, but if you could pick the aircraft prior, would a P-38 be a better choice? Or is Bong's wife simply petite?..

I have seen a couple of videos of pilots being introduced to the P-38 by riding behind the pilot just like that. But I don't know if it was a modified P-38 or not. Externally it looked the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back