Flying legends 2024 cancelled !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No reasons have been given, either from the new venue (as of this year) at Church Fenton, or by The Fighter Collection.
However, a "new" airshow has been announced, to take place at Sywell, near Northampton over the weekend of 22nd - 23rd June 2024, organised by Air Leasing / Ultimate Warbirds, and this sounds like it might be a sort of "alternative" Legends.
After the change of venue decision, leaving Duxford after thirty years of "Legends", Sywell was announced as the new location, but that seemed to have fallen through, and the first "Legends" since 2019 took place at Church Fenton, near Leeds, this year.

What baffles me, is that when I was reading about it, it sounded like it was wildly popular to the point of being very crowded. Did that change? Were they not making money?

It was (is) one of the most popular and successful air shows, attracting regular visitors from all over the World, with very large crowds (for a UK venue)
The COVID pandemic lead to cancellations for two years of course, and then, in 2021, there was a "disagreement" with the terms required by the Imperial War Museum, who run the Duxford site. There were hints hat this was due to the IWM wanting a large amount of money "up front", and the organisers (The Fighter Collection) decided to look for a new venue. This was to have been Sywell, although it never happened, and the first show since 2019 took place at Church Fenton in July this year.
It was then announced that the 2024 show would also be at Church Fenton, moving to its "traditional" date of the second weekend in July, as the only available date used this year clashed with the RIAT show and the Great Yorkshire Show, meaning lower attendances.
I don't know why the show has been cancelled, but hopefully the new Sywel show will be a good "replacement", and may even lead to "Legends" being held there in future years.

Thanks for the explanation. I think we all just want to see these beautiful aircraft taken care of and we are very lucky that any are still around, let alone flying. I know it's a very expensive and challenging proposition to keep them in flying shape, I really hope I get to see this air show in whatever form, one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back