Focke Wulf Ta 152H.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sorry but Clostermanns claims some of them are not confirmed with German sosurces....... the Ju 290 for example.
The He 162 was never shot down in combat and it is extremely doubtful any JG 1 pilot shot down any Allied fighter in one. I have spoken with JG 1 vets and have both JG 1 histories. Schmdit's kill is still not confirmed by any sources..........

Well again I can not verfiy any of those claims either but here is some stuff that I found.

The He-162 finally saw combat in mid-April. On April 19, a captured Royal Air Force fighter pilot informed his Germans interrogators that he had been shot down by a jet fighter matching the description of a He 162. The Heinkel and its pilot were lost as well, shot down by a RAF Hawker Tempest while on the landing approach. Though still in training, from mid-April I/JG-1 had scored a number of kills, but had also lost thirteen He 162s and ten pilots. Ten of the aircraft losses were due to various technical malfunctions, such as engine flameouts and sporadic structural failures, and just two were shot down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Clostermann

the story is not verified by the two JG 1 authors who are quite well known. It was considered but no confirmed. I would not beleive anything from clostermanns mouth. I see his bogus ground calims of ailplanes shot up in the 2nd taf book as fact in which it was not. this is news from a very old book prodcued before Clostermann did his two own books. Of course they are considered as fact as he put in the calims aand since he was a prime French ace and propaganda tool it is climed as such. interesting when we interviewed Pierre's private biographere, what he had to say about the kill confirmatations. he couldn't even cross check them.........like I said climing that Rudi shot down 3-4 Tempests and the 2cm flak incident which never happened.

do I sound opinionated or what ? :lol:

There were excellent French pilots including Closterman flying Tempests for the RAF; my personal beliefs is that Pierre was a good story teller.

Late war claims as we all have admitted whether Allied or German are hard to come by. many of 44 and 45 for the Germans have been lost inclusion of claims and losses. In fact it was in the fall of 44 when the Luftwaffe stopped the claims process system and officially awarding those claims.......so how do we know for sure one way or the other ?

E

Update.

I am sure the numbers of Luftwaffe aircraft destroyed was greater though, but still damn 120,000 but then again a lot of those were bombers which were easier then fighters.

there really is no confirmed numbers not even counting the thousands from official documentation at Freiburg. As I said over and over again here on this board in the fall of 1944 the Luftwaffe quit counting and officially giving claims for pilot victories for day and night fighters. We will never ever get a firm count, just a theory of possibly how many.

Update.

Update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back