For the upcoming Haggis hunting season...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What!!?? It's gorgeous, especially with tatties and neeps! And, it's even better if you've stalked and shot it yourself, although it is a tricky business. As Jan stated, they're fast liitle blighters, and difficult to spot in time to draw a bead, seeing as they only venture out at dusk or dawn. Of course, the light at these hours, the gloming as it's called in the Highlands, not only makes spotting the little creatures a chore, but also makes it a tad difficul to judge range - and you must drop the thing with the first shot, as you won't get a second chance!
Where are you going to stalk this year Jan? Royal Deeside again, or up near Fort William ?

If its any help, the Mountain Haggis is the easiest to bag.

Centuries of breeding have resulted in the Mountain Haggis (MH) developing shorter legs on one side, so it can run around the mountain faster than the hunters. Only problem is tho', all the hunter has to do is sit down and face the other way and bag the little blighter when it comes pelting around the mountain :shock:

And yes,, iether the mountain or lowland breed are pretty good eating !

and don't forget the traditional lighting of the Jackalope when the first haggis is shot!!

Oh the sight, oh the smell. Like grandma washed her under things in pickle juice. hhhmmmmmmm.

I agree Gary, but the problem is, knowing which way the male MH goes, and which way the female goes! As I'm sure you know, the male MH is the better catch, and it (he?) has the shorter legs on the starboard side, or certainly those in the northern Highlands. The female normally, but not always, has the shorter legs on the port side, which, of course, means that they can't both take the same route around the hills, or they'd be unbalanced. This isn't a major problem in steeply inclined areas of the glenns, but can cause problems in gentler terrain, as both of the little creatures could possibly meander along the same routes, making a positive identification rather tricky.
Of course, it's much easier if you're after the Grey Haggis as, being somewhat larger then the Brown Haggis, they're easier to identify, male or female.
But, I had heard that those darned Red Haggis have now started breeding on Speyside. Have you heard anything about them? I missed last season, which was just about the time I joined the forum, as I was a bit imobile, and it looks like I'll miss the beginning of this season too, as I'm off to the Czech Republic to meet up with Roman on the 27th.

This year I've got a splendid spot for the hunting. Let's just say that it's somewhat of the "beaten track" and you do have to keep an avid on the local fuzz! Think that I'll leave the dogs at home, learned it the hard way last season, only got left with bags of fur and bones, not very tasty! Still hoping to lay my bead on the General....he's a legend among us hunters!

One day!

I think you all got into a batch of bad liquor...
pi_freak.gif

Seriously

Yeah baby !!!

All this talk about hunting Haggis reminds me of a story my dad used to relate. Back in the War, where he was stationed was a searchlight battery ....and they used to go rabbit hunting with a sten !!!. Never did eat much rabbit apparently !.

I enjoy Haggis but prefer if its been killed using traditional hunting methods which does vary. the Lowlanders tend to use a Cluty dumpling this stuns the creature and a deep fried mars bar is used to dispatch the beast, however the more ancient method practised by the highlanders is a trap baited with Athol Brose once caught the Haggis is hurled against a boulder to kill it this is known as the Highland fling.

I enjoy Haggis but prefer if its been killed using traditional hunting methods which does vary. the Lowlanders tend to use a Cluty dumpling this stuns the creature and a deep fried mars bar is used to dispatch the beast, however the more ancient method practised by the highlanders is a trap baited with Athol Brose once caught the Haggis is hurled against a boulder to kill it this is known as the Highland fling.

Track, that is HILARIOUS! :lol:

What!!?? It's gorgeous, especially with tatties and neeps!

OK, please pardon my ignorance..I can figure that tatties MIGHT be potatoes, but NEEPS? That sounds painful..I know I'm not eating Haggis (EW!) and I'ma thinking I'm gonna pass on anything called a neep. :D :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back