For WWII Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dark Matter

Banned
Jun 23, 2009
Do you think that these forums will ever die.
Will people stop liking WWII Aircraft?
Whats going to happen in 50 years?
What Happens when the world runs out of gas, and then the Aircraft are worthless?

Do you think that these forums will ever die.
Will people stop liking WWII Aircraft?
Whats going to happen in 50 years?
What Happens when the world runs out of gas, and then the Aircraft are worthless?
We stopped using muskets over 150 years ago, enthusiasts still dress up and shoot each other
We stopped using swords and shields over 1,000 years ago and enthusiasts still do the same

The way we're going as a species, in 50 years time vintage aircraft will be the very smallest of our problems

Last edited:
There is still a huge following of WWI aircraft almost 100 years after the "Great War". There's websites devoted to the research of pilots, machines and battles. There are still original aircraft around and reproduction aircraft are being made and displayed at airshows around the world.

I don't think that we'll run out of fuel for these machines, there'll always be a solution as long as someone can make money from it. And even if they did quit flying them altogether, it doesn't mean they have to be shoved into the trash heap...you doen't see the Me163 Komet flying (it hasn't under it's own power since 1945), yet it still sits on display in the Smithsonian.

WW2 will never be forgotten.... Some (a very select few) still study the Punic wars!.

Like Doughboy said, warfare will always be studied. For the historian, the wars a society chooses to fight and the ways in which that is done are a fascinating window on the society itself.

as far as forums.....

you may have 500,000 WWII aircraft sites now but as the years go by, they'll fall to the wayside until only 2 or 3 survive as the strongest and start copying the business model that this site has established! :)

WW2 and what spawned from it are still very relevant in todays society and I think that makes it very interesting. In 50 years I think many of the events of WW2 will still relevant and there will still be an interest.

Inevitably there will be changes. The group here is incredibly fortunate to benefit from people with direct knowledge of and relationships with the participants.

If someone even as careful as Rich Leonard passes his insights to a new generation, there will still be losses in certain details. It is our collective responsibility to see that as much as possible is retained, though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back