Foreign Aircraft in Japanese Markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I guess they didn't test the P-47. Their feet wouldn't have reached the pedals. :lol:

Couple of more.
First one Lagg 3
Second one Buffalo
Last two are Bu 131 license in japan under the type KI-86

Attachments

• jap_lagg-3_02.jpg
    jap_lagg-3_02.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 952
  • buffalo_cap_no1.jpg
    buffalo_cap_no1.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 832
  • t_ki-86_foto.jpg
    t_ki-86_foto.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 717
  • t_ki-86_kamufl__.jpg
    t_ki-86_kamufl__.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 717
Couple of more Douglas L2D. First one is in Japanese transport colors, second is military.

Attachments

• l2d-4.jpg
    l2d-4.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 695
  • l2d-1.jpg
    l2d-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 682
Couple of more.
Last two are Bu 131 license in japan under the type KI-86
The Bu-131/Ki-86 is especially interesting because a large number of these license built a/c were in turn captured by the Soviets in Manchuria in 1945. ~300 were on hand there, 'Manchukuo' had become a main JAAF training area in part because it wasn't subject to US fighter sweeps. The type was then used by the Chinese Communists (per several published accounts) and the North Koreans (per captured NK docs from the Korean War referring to them).

Here's a book about a/c captured by the Japanese, sorry not a free website full of copyright violation photo's (just kidding :D ) and it's in Japanese, but it's good stuff.
captured1
The Mustang was P-51C 44-10816, nickname Evalina, which force landed in China, a number of sites have photo's of that one.
The F6F was from VF-44 off USS Langley. It and the F4U's, one from VMF-123 and one from VFB-83, at least, bellied in during strikes on Japan from Feb '45 onward.

Going the other way, the German commerce raider Orion was said to have purchased a Type 95 Recon Seaplane (E8N, 'Dave') in 1941, because it needed one and happened to be in Japan. And many sources say the Germans considered license producing the Type 100 Hq. Recon plane (Ki-46, 'Dinah'), but obviously didn't end up doing so, and I don't know how far that really got.

Note that P-40 in 50th Sentai markings was one of several reported used as operational combat planes in Burma by the Japanese. And some of the B-17's captured in Java had early Sperry computing sights for their turrets. While standard English sources (like Mikesh, "Japanese a/c Equipment") say the Japanese copies of those didn't go past trials, the Japanese book "Hien Regiment" about the 244th Sentai shows photo's of what it says were operational computing gunsights on Type 3 Fighters (Ki-61, 'Tony') in 1945, presumably also based on the captured ones.

Joe

Interesting Joe, to bad the book is in Japanese. Id be interested in seeing the Ju-86 in japanese markings if its in the book. Any chance you could email me the picture if its in the book or post the picture.

As I have said this has come from a variety of sources. Most I have saved from a variety of web pages though the years

Does anyone have any of the Japanese reports on the aircraft that they tested? Would be interesting to see what they thought about the different aircraft and compare them to tests from other nations.

Hello (again):

After sending these pictures of the Japanese Ju-87, I noticed that the color profile posted earlier appears to be less than accurate. For one - the pictures of the Ju-87 clearly reveals a soft-line camouflage that resembles the standard brown/green "China War" scheme as applied to Ki-15 and other Army aircraft of the time. It's definitely not a splinter pattern. Secondly - the Japanese markings in the profile are not consistent with Army practice of the time: white surround on the fuselage insignia and white or white/red/white fuselage stripe.

I threw together a revised profile that also shows white bands around the wheel spats - an interesting detail shown in one of the photographs. Note that I didn't change the false splinter camouflage (yet)!

- Ron Cole

ColesAircraft.com

Attachments

• Scan0001-alt.jpg
    Scan0001-alt.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 653
Very cool and thanks Ron, Looking forward to the rest of the profile.

Hi Adler, I personally dont have any tech documents in Japanese but I can recommend a good book with some good details on Japanese aircraft. The books called Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War by Rene J Francillon.

Cool thanks. Does it cover the Japanese tests of foreign aircraft?

It doesn't cover the ones captured. It does talks about some of the one's that where licence built from foreign countries. Covers both the Army and Navy side of all there aircraft that saw service. Spec's, Versions, Some on engines, armament, handy book to have around. A couple of the pictures I posted that I found on the web are also found in this book.

Example tells how the Japanese acquired the licence to build and sell the DC-3for a price of $90,000

Its mainly about standard japanese aircraft though

Short Brothers of England designed their K.F.1, a three engined flying boat, in consultation with Kawanishi in 1929. One was shipped to Japan in sections in 1930 and when re-assembled, it displayed good performance and endurance. Kawanishi gained licence manufacturing and produced four as the Navy Type 90-2 Flying-boat (H3K1)(Company designation Type F). At the time it was the largest flying boat in the pacific and Short Brothers' methods of hull construction were incorporated in such famous Kawanishi flying boats as the H8K1.
One crashed on 8 January 1933, attributed to a "slow reading altimeter." Erroneously believed to be active in the Pacific war it was briefly given the code name 'Belle'.

Since we're covering foreign aircraft in Japanese military service, here are shots of their He 70 (shipped to Japan in 1935) and He 118 (shipped to Japan in 1938).

I've got pictures of a Japanese P2Y-1 in Navy service, an He 112, and several early Curtiss monoplanes that were evaluated by the Army - in case anyone's interested.

The Japanese also imported hundreds of civilian aircraft types, most of which were impressed into military duties during the Pacific War - including the Bf-108, Stinson SR-5, Waco PF-7, about every DH Moth made, Bu-131, Bu-133 and even NH-1 Flying Fleas.

The Japanese Navy experimented with imported flying boats out the yazoo, especially among English designs. But they also imported many early Dornier flying boats and SM Italian designs (also, the Italian Fiat Br-20 as a bomber and D510 as a fighter).

Thus, the Japanese were mocked around the world as copiers of foreign aircraft - not innovators. That prejudice changed after Pearl Harbor, of course.

- Ron

Attachments

• german-ac.jpg
    german-ac.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 726

Users who are viewing this thread

Back