Für Adler

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Google Earth and Ansbach airfield:

Attachments

• ansbach.jpg
    ansbach.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 103
  • ansbach1.jpg
    ansbach1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 122
I've been there! And just to second Adler, the barracks do look like that still.

V2 that is not Ansbach Army Airfield. That is Shipton Kaserne which is about a 5 minute drive from Ansbach Army Airfield (which is actually called Katterbach Kaserne). It is a Air Defense Artillary Post with Patriot Missile Batteries. Do you see a Runway or hangers in those pics? That is also part of our training area but that is not the Airfield.

V2 this is the airfield as from Google Earth and quite accurate. It even has the big 4th Brigade flag painted on the ground on the flight line.

Attachments

• katterbach army airfield.jpg
    katterbach army airfield.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 103
  • katterbach 2.jpg
    katterbach 2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 102
syscom3 said:
I know the what the f*** "H" stands for.

The question is what that tiny landing strip was built for. Very narrow and only a couple hundred feet long.

Okay obviously a Helicopter does not need a runway to land, but have you ever heard of an inflight emergency? Lets say the Blackhawk we fly looses and engine and we no longer have hover cabability because we weight to much. We fly in and do a "ROLL ON LANDING". It is where we land like an airplane on our wheels. Other inflight emergenices require the same landing such as loss of tail rotor thrust and etc...

That is why the runway is so short and narrow. It is only built for "HELICOPTERS" in mind....

I have seen once on the TV how they showed the way that landing is done Adler and it is great to see it and how they do it. If we have a wild fire on our mountain the Airforce send their Oryx helicopters to come and help the fire fight and I love to watch them fly around and they sometimes let us get on board and check stuff out. The Oryx is a Upgraded version of the Puma.

Well I am at work today and I brought my camara so I will take the pics today. I also might have a special treat for pD. Our Chinooks are supposed to arrive soon and I am hoping they will make it in today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back