Future New Releases.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Limited? It's bl**dy non-existant!!
Yep, I can (vaguely) remember the outcry at the time this odd scale of 1/35th was introduced. Those that built the (then) larger scale of armour and military vehicles, 'larger' being bigger than the then fairly common 1/48th scale (see, nothing new in 1/48th scale military vehicles!), were happy with their kits from,IIRC Revell and a few others, including Airfix at the time. They all thought that the 1/35th 'thing' would either be a flash in the pan, or would co-exist with the 'established' 1/32nd scale kits. I seem to recall that, even as late as around 1978, Italieri (now Italeri) and Esci had some very nice, and diverse, 1/32nd soft skin vehicles, ideal for aircraft dioramas etc.
But, as we all know, 1/35th seems to rule the roost. There's nothing wring with that I suppose, and I guess those new aircraft are aimed squarely at the 1/35th armour builders, for diorama use etc, which is good. But why oh why can't some manufactuers bring out 1/32nd stuff again? After all,the 'civilian' car models are still popular.

Why do I get the feeling that this can all be traced back to some wretched non-modeller bean-counter with Tamiya who figured people wouldn't really notice the difference in scale, but that the 1/35th scale models were cheaper for Tamiya to produce (while still charging 1/32nd scale prices, naturally). This kind of stuff happens all the time with food products, of course, with the same price being charged as they provide you with smaller portions. The difference is that if you want more food, you just pay for more. It's hard for me to tell Master Box that I'll buy their 1/35th scale planes if they "super-size" them for me and I'll just pay a little more. Of course I can buy 1/32nd scale planes in preference to these, which is what I basically told Master Box in my e-mail to them, but if nobody else makes them, figuring they've already been covered in a large scale (hey, 1/35th, 1/32nd - what's the difference?), then I'm up the crick without a paddle. As a matter of principle, I will not buy 1/35th scale aircraft. At any rate, that's my rant for the moment.

Venganza

I seem to recall that, even as late as around 1978, Italieri (now Italeri) and Esci had some very nice, and diverse, 1/32nd soft skin vehicles, ideal for aircraft dioramas etc.

Airfix too! They had an M3 Grant tank, Rommel's SdKfz 250/1, and something else - British Daimler armoured car or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back