fw 190 A-8 black 5 of III/JG54 help please

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I tend to side with Erich's comments....white on Black spiral...and a 'grey' nose ring area, a yellow nose ring is most unlikely it just doesn't make sense to do so?

I also tend to side with Erich's states especially the one about the grey front part of the engine cowling.The yellow paint in many B&W pics appears like a dark one ( almost like a red one) in the sunlight.So we can say the yellow ring is incorrect.
Concerning the spinner colour and the spiral one I have to check something.

I see what you mean now Erich, and yes, it makes sense that the front cowling ring would be camouflage colours, not yellow. The bug-bear is, this scheme, for this particular aircraft, has persisted since that magazine article was published in '78, so the question should be "where did the info come from to give the author/artist that yellow colour?" I guess we'll probably never know! (Unless I can find the mag, which I doubt!)
Of course, in attempting to interpret colours from B&W prints, particularly half-tone reproductions, much depends on the quality of the original print, whether it's a copy, how it's been reproduced and so on. Not so difficult with a known, first generation print, but progressively more difficult, if not hit and miss, with each variation of print/reproduction. Only by printing a new copy, from the original negative, and with a grey step scale for comparison of tones vis a vis the negative, can an accurate interpretation be obtained. That, unfortunately, we can not do!
R.I.P. the yellow ring?

Terry the same thing applies to the old myth about IV.Sturm/JG 3 Fw 190A-8/R2's with so called red cowlings. well the interpretation was all wrong but it still exists on box art and even in profiles in books.....should be black with a touch of blue by the way. 30 years ago box art was in some ways the only thing that could help the modeller do camo ups....of course we all thought the drawings for the painting included within were bonafide fact. Times have changed, more up to date books much research, etc ........ the internet in some ways has helped with corss references from others overseas which would normally take months

I fully understand what you mean, Erich. As for the Internet, which is still new to me, you couldn't have put it better. I have been able to gather more information, for research for my paintings and writing, in the space of a few hours, days at the most, than I would have done previously in weeks, probably months, and, in some cases, years! As you said, it has opened up new, hitherto undiscovered or unknown, avenues for the likes of us on this forum, with the ability to share information, globally, with the touch of a few keys. Fantastic!
As for the information available, for example, 30 years ago, much of this was, or would have been inaccessable, due to perhaps private collections and, of course, those documents/artefacts/ images still held closed by some authorities. This, no doubt, exacerbated the persistence of certain 'myths', such as the one regarding the red colours you quoted, and, for example, the notion that some of the JG2 colours were red. It always amazes me, and of course pleases me, that new information and facts seem to emerge on a regular basis 'these days'; it makes me wonder how researchers, modellers and artists (aviation) managed then, not that many years ago!

ok to sum up opinion suggest's the correct scheme should be.

black spinner with white spiral
74/75/76 cammo scheme
RLM76 cowl ring or maybe light gray ?
no gun pods

but what about the outer under wing panels RLM76 or RLM04 ?

i apologise to anyone who thinks this thread is becoming a pain in the ass !

No apologies necessary Karl...if you don't ask you'll never know!:D

....and it sets people in motion to seek out and/or provide the answers, which in this case gave me a pic of Black 5 I have not seen before!

a friend once told me "Knowledge not shared is wasted"......

Agree with all, that's what this type of forum is for! I'm also with Les, no evidence of 04 wing-tip panels in-theatre at that time, the whole underside of the wing should be 76.
It's also helped me as, despite my previous comments regarding the supposed accuracy of the magazine information quoted, and my own analysis of the various pictures, I've always had some doubts about that yellow cowling ring. With Erich's reinforcement, and the availability of 'fresh' photo evidence, I now feel confident in changing the model, when I eventually get around to the repair etc.!!
So thanks for bringing it up Karl, and to eveyone else, especially Erich, for the input.

Nope....

Attachments

• 0danroller.jpg
    0danroller.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 63

Users who are viewing this thread

Back