Fw 190A-8 decal mystery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
During the recovery of a Fw190A-8, shot down during Market Garden/ pilot safe, we found this cowling part. The stencil for us is unknown....at least, we have never seen it before during other excavations. Its also something I can not find back in our books we have about the 190.
Does anyone know it? Or is/was it perhaps a personal emblem of the pilot.
Help is very much appreciated!!!

Greetings from Holland,
Sander

Attachments

• Fw190Groessen22.jpg
    Fw190Groessen22.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 317
Not too many fellas had personal emblems on the cowling, so I doubt that is what it is.... Also, its alittle bit average in design, ie not fancy or inspiring so to speak... Stencils usually were not used to make personal emblems either, and the pic above is clearly a stencil...

Maybe Erich can shine some light....

Do you know which part of the cowling it's from? It's position might aid identification.

Hi A4K,

It is from the left hand side of the MG131 cowling. I have looked at photo's of 190's over and over again but didn't found a single pic with this decal....or something that looks similar.
Just thinking........We also found the switchboard for the Wgr 21 system(see pic), maybe it has something to do with that.
We just don't know with this one(yet).

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• Fw190Groessen39.jpg
    Fw190Groessen39.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 278
There are some real knowledgable Luftwaffe guys here and some who appear to specialize on the Fw 190 so just wait and you will have your answer and then some. My two cents is that it's not a personal marking, but a technical marking that says something like "this engine uses such-and-such a lubricant/fuel/water-methanol injection" or maybe it indicates a hoist point under the cowl or and access somewhere near that location on the cowling. Just guesses really.

Regards, Jim

you say you found a weapons system for the Br 21cm ? don't think that would of been carried during the Market garden fiasco unl;ess this old beater was from JGr 10.

very few Fw 190A units were even in the air battles for M.G.

Stab./JG 2
Stab/JG 26
I. u. II./JG 26
II./JG 6

looks like a special stencil to me not a private wappen, but sorry have no clue on what it is.

I think I've seen a similar marking before somewhere, but can't remember where. I'll start searching, to see if I can find anything. I have a feeling it might be related to the airctaft datum line, or weight/balance. Can you let us know the approximate dimensions?

Yes...could be. We thought of that one too. The stencil is approx 15cm in diameter.
And I agree with Erich that this 190 did not have the weaponsystem for the Wgr 21 during Market Garden in place.

It would be great if a photo or drawing could prove that this stencil is for the engine/ fuel specifications.
Then it could help us in our search in identifying this a/c and its pilot. Our archive research points in the direction of JG 6, but we are absolutly not sure! The eyewitness couldn't remember the exact day....and then it becomes pretty difficult.

Regards,
Sander

Is there any other markings on the aircraft like a Number or even possibly a Werk Number. That might help out alot.

The small yellow ring on the rear part of the MG access cover indicates a BMW 801 D-2 engine with MW50 boost. Im still looking for pictures, but this is the info I have found so far.

Here is a picture of a 190 with the marking. Still looking for one up close though.
FW190-A8-4s.jpg

Last edited:
Hi beaupower32,

No, no werknummer so far found on the wreackage parts we excavated. You can find more photo's of what we found during this recovery at the link below.
Fw190A-8 recovered at Groessen

The photo you posted indeed shows the stencil on the specific location.....thank you very much!! It seems that our mysterie is solved.
Do you know if this stencil was applied regularly or not, because of the many photo's I looked at not one 190showed this stencil?

Cheers,
Sander

Users who are viewing this thread

Back