Fw 190D-9 "Red1" of JV44 Lt. Heino Sachsenberg....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, sounds good Wayne, I seem to be on the right track... I noticed that u talked about wiping the tip to avoid the splatter, and I think u solved one of my issues.... Would the splatter end up like grit on the model????

I can see the mottleing taking that long.... One thing that I dont really get is with the in out movement is how do u keep the small mottle from getting too large and disorting the brightness of the RLM76 underneath it???

My double action has one tip and its not a fine tip.... Getting minute details with it ends up with a small glossy puddle, which btw REALLY pisses me off... Ive tried changing the pressure and varying the amount of paint...

Like u told me many moons ago Wayne, its practice practice....

Good morning or good evening. I don't know. I'm an italian modeler and i'm visiting this site for the first time. My english isn't very well and I hope you can understand what i want say. I also bought the hasegawa's model (Santa Claus, my nice wife, bring me! really) and now I don't know which version I have to do. Bye from Italy and happy new year.

Hello Enrico,

Welcome to the site.Concerning your model it's up to you only which version you will choose.There is a lot about Fw190D-9 around the forum.Look around carefully please.It may help you with your choice.

Dan your Dora looks nice.Nice progress.:D

Hello Enrico, and welcome. You will find lots of help here from all the great modelling friends you will speak to. And don't worry, your English is good enough, and 100% better than my Italian!
Terry.

OK, sounds good Wayne, I seem to be on the right track... I noticed that u talked about wiping the tip to avoid the splatter, and I think u solved one of my issues.... Would the splatter end up like grit on the model????

YES!...it will!

I can see the mottleing taking that long.... One thing that I dont really get is with the in out movement is how do u keep the small mottle from getting too large and disorting the brightness of the RLM76 underneath it???

My double action has one tip and its not a fine tip.... Getting minute details with it ends up with a small glossy puddle, which btw REALLY pisses me off... Ive tried changing the pressure and varying the amount of paint...

It's not just the pressure and paint, its all about your finger on the trigger and the delicate operation of 'touch' to measure your flow of air and paint....and just for the record sometimes I do still stuff it up...

Like u told me many moons ago Wayne, its practice practice....

It sure is.....:D :D :D....and some patience!!

I got the main canopy taped off and the prop blades are now painted... It took me litterally a hour to tape off the damn canopy, but it came out perfect... I taped it inside and out...

Its gonna look good....

The one thing that will make a difference for me and my painting is the advice from Wayne concerning the wiping off of my airbrush nozzle... I was having fits over the small grains that were poppin up here and there.... Now I have no excuse...

Got the front canopy piece taped off as well now... Will probably spray them and some other small items today....

Im really at a loss as to how to do the fuselage camo mottleing... I was planning on taping off the main areas that will have the deeper tones and spraying them... Then, let dry, remove tape and try to free hand the lighter splashes of RLM82 and 83...

I know u mentioned something about it to me awhile ago about a mask/template for the camo job Wayne... An idea I was going to possibly try was to use blue tac tape, draw out the camo pattern as best I can on it from the profile, then cut it out with an exacto knife, apply to the crate and spray it, using the techniques we been talkin about with the airbrush...

With my well-known lack of skill and glitchy sprayer, which is the right way to go???

Heres what we got so far....

Attachments

• umm 006.jpg
    umm 006.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 93
  • umm 018.jpg
    umm 018.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 82
  • umm 019.jpg
    umm 019.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 98
  • umm 017.jpg
    umm 017.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 71
  • umm 016.jpg
    umm 016.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 90
  • umm 021.jpg
    umm 021.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 93
How about a higher mix of thinner to paint and practice on some scrap paper to see if you can create the mottle effect?

The masking of the primary area is probably a wise start but if you can get the mottle to work this would be better.....

Thanks Jan...

OK Wayne.. I use Model Master enamels and use a mix of 1 part paint/3 parts thinner now, so maybe 1/4 ratio for the mottle??

And u are recommending, if I can, to do the entire fuselage camo in a mottle??? If so, wont it look kinda off if the wings werent done that way and the fuselage was???

Thanks Jan...

OK Wayne.. I use Model Master enamels and use a mix of 1 part paint/3 parts thinner now, so maybe 1/4 ratio for the mottle??

And u are recommending, if I can, to do the entire fuselage camo in a mottle??? If so, wont it look kinda off if the wings werent done that way and the fuselage was???

Try the higher ratio...even 1:5 ? can't hurt to try.....on scrap!! you have to do small areas at a time, keep the tip clean and work down from the top, concentrating on getting the flow just right, if it's not you pull away and start again...your fuselage would take me 30 minutes or more to do, light Green first over the full length then the Dark Green on its correct areas over the light Green....mottling lightly and building it up, trying to get a soft but hard edge, just like on my 1/48 190....

If the Light green is going on right I usually apply random mottle on the fuselage too...!

Man If you can get it right it will look good....

IF you get it right you can always go over the hard edge camo on the wings....

...and make sure your wings are covered you don't want overspray messing them up!

Great Dan..I can't wait to see the final product.:thumbleft: Keep working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back