GB 23 Winter War Eastern Front WWII-Allied or Axis

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Th3ey musta put the white on with gloves made from towels! VVS planes looked the same. Musta been a crew of painters prostituting themselves for food.

Seems I have solved my dilemma of this GB and my time constraints.............. seems I got rid of my Yak when I was selling off my overload of kits! DOH.

I'll be concentrating on my HARS and display model stuff for a while.

Last edited:
Those were 126 Sqn? Don't have them in my list.

I do have a F/Lt GG Davidson lost on a Dieppe raid with 126 Sqn, Vb maybe EP310 or BL589, MK codes unknown.

I do have a F/Lt GG Davidson lost on a Dieppe raid with 126 Sqn, Vb maybe EP310 or BL589, MK codes unknown.

No Spitfires with those s/n were lost at Dieppe Bill. EP310 was a tropicalized Vb and was lost off Sicily 15-11-42. BL589 was a Vb and survived the war.

Geo

I ordered a kit to work on without regard to the GB23... just another plane to keep me busy. Like many of you, I'm a big fan of the Dora.
hb_81716_title.jpg

I am planning on doing Black 12 of II/JG6 (WNr 500570) using the kit decals because I've always had a thing for the late war green/brown color combination.
03.jpg

This plane was surrendered to the Allies in Furth, Germany in 1945 with a group of four planes fleeing to the west to avoid capture by Soviet forces.

The following are some photos and artwork that I've been able to scrounge from the interwebs...

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-5.JG6-(Black-12+-)-WNr-500570-Germany-1945-01.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-5.JG6-(Black-12+-)-WNr-500570-Germany-1945-02.jpg

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-5.JG6-(Black-12+-)-WNr-500570-surrendering-Germany-1945-01.jpg

Artwork-Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-5.JG6-(Black-12+-)-WNr-500570-Germany-1945-0A.jpg

Black12_CS_Small.jpg

Would this build qualify for GB23? I should be getting the kit by next week.

Last edited:
I'd say yes John. The JG6 Doras were used in early 45 against Soviet ground targets.

Your subject is well documented in photos (some colour too) and gets a lot of air time in Jerry Crandall's Dora book. He argues that the codes are actually a very dark blue rather than black and indeed if you look at your pictures above the 12 does look lighter than the black cross.

When I saw the pictures of the Dora W.Nr.500570 a few years ago , my first thought was the number wasn't black as the caption said. Later there appeared info in a couple of books ( including Jerry Crandall's one ) it was blue. So I agreed with that it was the colour.

Fw190D-9 WNr 500570 - JG 6 - Blue 12_b.jpg

Fw190D-9 WNr 500570 - JG 6 - Blue 12_c.jpg

Alright... I guess I'll have THREE entries in this GB! I've always been a fan of the Long Nose Dora. One of the first plastic model kits I ever made was the old Revell D-9 in 1/32 scale back in the 70's when I was a wee lad. No painting back then... just glued together and hung from my ceiling using old fishing line.

kits:fw-190:revell_h215_fw190dpr.jpg

Even though I eventually stopped building models, my interest in WWII aircraft continued and I would visit hobby shops on occasion and maybe purchase a book or two. Checking my little collection of references, I happen to have a few Luftwaffe resources including...

Monogram_010_FW-190D.jpg

Monogram_024_Ta_152.jpg

41CWNvlcT0L._SL500_SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

000f792b_medium.gif

Lo and behold... the centerspread of Monogram Close Up #10 is a color photo of Black 12! It is the same one as the color photo that I posted above.

As far as the codes being blue and not black, I could see that this might be a possibility. But there could also be other explanations. The codes could be black that were applied at a different date as the fuselage cross and may have faded at a different rate. Also the white outline of the codes may give a false impression that the codes are a different color than the non-bordered cross. The color photo does not seem to indicate a blue dash but I'll take a closer look at my Monogram book to see if I can discern anything from that. Not trying to be argumentative here but simply trying to justify my decision to use the kit decals with some hastily applied logic! :)

Does anyone know what the red circle around the hole above the fuselage dash marking is for? The color photo indicates similar red circles on the landing gear door. Was this a Luftwaffe practice or something that the Allies applied after capture? I want to portray a "free" Wurger.

sincerely do not tell me andy, is it so must have been to see when I look at the forum by the cell phone as often does what he wants habre given to dislike, without my intention

Nearing the end of my I-16 build and I'm looking for a photo of the port side of a JG.3 109F, "Yellow 8". I have a book that shows both sides but it is buried deep somewhere. I like the odd camo scheme and have decals for "Yellow 4" but as Sergio is doing it, I thought I would do another number. The book I have states, according to the author, that the camo was not field applied but came from a factory pattern. The photos of "8" seem to bear this out as the camo is very similar to "4". My concern here is, I've seen other photos of aircraft from JG.3 and they all seem to have a name painted on the port side under the canopy and I can't recall if "8" also had a name. My search for the book continues.

Geo

EDIT: NEVERMIND... Rummaging through my stashes, I came upon another option: an ICM 109F-2 with Eagle Strike decals for "Yellow 6" Jg.54, winter, 1941. A new thread and photos to follow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back