1/72 RE2000 – Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very interesting subject... I don't see too many builds of this aircraft. I really enjoy the process of figuring things out and it looks like you are on your way to conquering this complex mottle pattern.

Excellent first try. With a bit of the suggested tweaking, it should be good. It will be tricky where wings meet fuselage so if you use paper as Wojtek suggested, it will help you get in tight.

I agree with the size change. Even if you spray from straight on the air turbulance in the styrene holes will prevent the paint getting to the very edges.

Cut paper patterns would be realllly much better. Try spraying a very Light coat of adhesive to the back of the paper. Don;t make it so heavy adhesive stays behind!!!!!! Even if the edges are a bit fuzzy it won't be that noticable. Keep the airbrush a good distance off the paper and it won't blow the edges up. Light coats to get the density!!!

You are on the right track.
Just food for thought.

Quick update giys. Things are on hold for a few days or a week whilst i finish off my GB22 entries. Im very keen to give this a further go however. before i abandon the styrene stencils, I may try removing or reducing the 1/8" spacers that I have. Ive added or enlarged some of the patterns, and ive also acquired some slightly lighter shades of green and the base sand yellow. i didnt count on the darker colouration effect working in such a small size would generate.

Im hoping that removal/reduction of the back spacers will make the colour blots bigger, but not eliminate the fuzzy edges that i want.

If this doesnt work then I will ditch the styrene option and try a paper version. if that doesnt work, ill probably have to go down the path of either dry brush or pastels

Going through some of the archived material, I realised that I never posted 'done" shots for this build. I never finished this build on time because I got involved in the "This day in in the War in Europe" thread, which ate into my forum time in a fierce way. I think it useful to post the completed shots howevdr, just the same .

I finished this build about two years ago, and in the finish just used a freehand application of the mottle scheme. I found the complexities of a a three tone scheme too challenging for the templates I was experimenting with at the time too fiddly at 1/72 scale. It would probably work at 1/48 scale , or at 1/72 scale if my painting skill was better than it is.

Just the same, Im happy with the results I achieved. The mottle scheme is a challenge, no doubt about it , and since I did this build others have done other mottle schemes with better results.

aft.jpg

Forward.jpg

Port beam .jpg

Port FQ.jpg

Port RQ.jpg

Starboard beam .jpg

Stbd FQ.jpg

Stbd RQ.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back