GB 23 Winter War Eastern Front WWII-Allied or Axis

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geo I got the Finnish decals from the Hasegawa P-40 M kit if you want them, don't know if sizes are correct though ?

That would be great Karl. When I get out of camp I'll find a photo, do some figuring and get back to you. I really don't want to purchase a decal sheet as this will more than likely be the only Finnish marked aircraft I'll do. Thanks in advance.

Geo

This GB is less than a couple weeks out folks, so any thoughts, questions or ideas on it, here's the place

The way I see it, this includes the Soviet-Finland winter war of November 1939-March 1940 as well as the June 1941-May 1945 Eastern Front (Germany), Great Patriotic War (Russia) and encompassed areas of Central, Eastern and Northern Europe and in the later stages, Southern Europe (the Balkans), Germany and Austria………………..Please chip in if I've got this wrong or missed somewhere.

So lots to choose from folks.

View attachment 267654

nice map vic, but for the propaganda value, we really should include a visual of the soviet period of success, just to remind people the war didnt end december 1941.....sorry for being the smart a*ss

Attachments

• East front.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 152
That would be great Karl. When I get out of camp I'll find a photo, do some figuring and get back to you. I really don't want to purchase a decal sheet as this will more than likely be the only Finnish marked aircraft I'll do. Thanks in advance.

Geo
I will measure them up for you my friend

I don't think there were any 410's in the east Cory but will check. 210's yes, but I think 410s were mostly used in intruder and bomber intercepts int he west. Will get back in a bit.

Cory, as far as I know, the closest that Me410s could be deemed to be operating on the eastern front were those based in Czechoslovakia and Hungary that operated against bombers of the US 8th and 15th AF's that bombed the eastern European oil refineries. I don't think this would qualify the 410 for this GB though I'll defer to others who may have more information. The one captured by the Russians was likely from late in the war as they approached Berlin.

You might want to save this kit for GBs 24 (yes, they operated out of Italy), 28 (night intruders), 29, or 36.

What else do you have in the stash? Don't forget that a lot of western aircraft could be used with Russian marking. Hurricanes, Spitfires, P-39's, A-20's are all possible.

wahat about the RAF units based for a while at Murmansk. From memory there were some hampden units, a blenheim unit a Beafighter unit and possibly a Hurricane unit, flying with RAF colours, miserble by the weather and the lack of Russian cheer.

Cory, as far as I know, the closest that Me410s could be deemed to be operating on the eastern front were those based in Czechoslovakia and Hungary that operated against bombers of the US 8th and 15th AF's that bombed the eastern European oil refineries. I don't think this would qualify the 410 for this GB though I'll defer to others who may have more information. The one captured by the Russians was likely from late in the war as they approached Berlin.

You might want to save this kit for GBs 24 (yes, they operated out of Italy), 28 (night intruders), 29, or 36.

What else do you have in the stash? Don't forget that a lot of western aircraft could be used with Russian marking. Hurricanes, Spitfires, P-39's, A-20's are all possible.

Thanks for the information! I'll save it for 24 since I have something for the night build.

I actually don't have any of those you listed besides an A-20, but that's already committed to a 418 Squadron build. I have a Spitfire VIII, but I don't think the Russians used those. I do have a Lysander that I could do in Finnish markings.

Something from JG 54. Either a 109 or a 190.

Attachments

• EC4838a.jpg
    EC4838a.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 97
  • EC4802a.jpg
    EC4802a.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
It will be great to see you back into a GB Karl.

Vic, I've been thinking of this one for a while and was going to post an intro today so thanks for doing that. It looks like you've pegged the theme very well.

I have two lined up for this one: Ju87R-2 winter scheme using Hasegawa's kit decals for J9+LL and Peter Bremer's Bf109F-2 Black 12"Hermannchen" just to tease my airbrush skills.

View attachment 267658

I love this f2 is a superb job of painting a normal scale of 1/72 or 1/48, luck id go with andy

I saw a Hungarian heja in the local hobby shop and was thinking of doing that.

michael, Maveg heja II is the Hungarian version of the mc200 and built under license following is an airplane that I would love to do one day a special hobby of specific, since it is a plane I have to pick the day you can go to Prague ... .

if you're going to do and want to have some information of the aircraft and the Hungarian air forces

I have too many Gb for this and I have to look no eye messes and make one want to do for another GB for now I plan (as possible to do), FW189 noctuno hunting on Warsaw in 1944, I-16 -18 826 reg, 36 division piloted by luis lavin Povorino Ukraine 1942,the La5f piloted by antonio Merono leningrad 1944, I am trying to locate any plane that pilot profile Ignacio Benito Aguirregoicoa in Leningrad who committed suicide or to be captured by the Germans after being shot down in 1944 and be badly hurt

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back