GB 29 - Feb 1st-Jun 5th 2016....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Evan, if you open the folder for the #29 Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII you can find a blue button on right at the top and bottom corner of your screen. It is for creating of a new thread.

Dzieki my friend! Did that and got a weird screen that didn't allow more than one line written. Will try it again.

Don't know if it's just me, but the new site format is a bit confusing. Seems to be 'jumpy' on my laptop too (and no, it's not the laptop playing up, as it's only on the forum, and only since it was changed)

No idea how my friend, but problem is solved now (thanks!): found the white space that looks like the rest of the screen (why no border?) where I can write. Done!

Cheers again! :wave:

OK. :thumbright:

However there is a borderline for the area. You may have your display set too bright or something like that.

screen8a.jpg

I've been getting the 'jumpy' thing too, over the last couple of days, and sometimes the page being arrayed vertically, with the tool icons vertical down one side, but no reply space !

HI Guys,

Haven't been around much. Been working on a few other projects namely a spitfire, flakwagen and a sherman.
I wan't to take part in this group build but I am still deciding what to build. Will be 1/48 scale for sure. Hopefully I will settle up by the weekend.

Cheers,
David.

Those Hurricanes are part of the ADLS (Air Despatch Letter Service) a.k.a. 1697 Flight. I'm not sure where they came from or what codes they carried. I've seen an image somewhere in which the letters ADLS are visible just below and behind the cockpit opening.

This is a member of 1697 Flight's (Arthur Lowndes) recollection of those times.

"After leaving the OTU I did some Army co-operation work and some aircraft delivery. I then transferred to 1697 flight at Northolt in July 1944. This was called Air Despatch Letter Service. We had Hurricanes specially adapted to carry mail. They had a special space behind the pilot and it was also possible to use one of the under--wing fuel spaces for mail. The object of this was to fly despatches from Normandy back to London. We used to fly the Hurricanes in to the airstrips and despatch riders would come from the front bringing despatches for London. It took about an hour to fly the distance back to Northolt where another despatch rider or driver would take it straight in to London, so an action which might have taken place at 7 a.m. would be reported in London by about 10 a.m. This practice gradually spread all over Europe as the armies advanced. We advanced with them, flying to the nearest airstrip and collecting despatches for home.
On 26 August 1944, I flew information from Balleray in France to Northolt all about De Gaulle's entry into Paris and it was very interesting to see it in the papers the next day, knowing that I had carried it in.
VE Day was very busy and I made three flights on 8 May, flying from Germany to Holland and Holland to Northolt and then back to Germany. During the post-war period we were even busier than before with mail and information, clocking up a lot of flying hours. It was during this time that I was able to have a little flight on a Focke Wulf 190 which we had captured. It was very interesting but was extremely fast and it was a little unnerving in a way because there was so much electrical equipment. Instead of levers many of the controls were just little buttons so you controlled it very tentatively hoping it would do the right thing.
My last flight as a member of the Royal Air Force was in a Spitfire on 5 April 1946."

Cheers

Steve

Welcome aboard... great to see another Dora! As far as the markings are concerned, I got the following from the internet:

From Chris Royston at Hyperscale:
This Dora-9 is a representation of one of the four known Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9s used by II./SG10 in the last weeks of the war.

From a photograph published in Eric Larger's Fw 190D-9 Camouflage and Markings, it can be ascertained that this aircraft was produced by Mimetall at Erfurt and was in the 500 XXX werknummer range.

The photograph also provides a glimpse of a white outlined black stammkenzeichen, which, from its shape, was either 3, 5, 6, 8 or 9. I picked the middle number, 6, for my profile.

Fw190D9_II_SG10_WNrUnknown-.jpg

I kind of want to jump into this with my 1/32 Tamiya Mosquito, but between the Corsair and an F-16 I'm rushing to get done for the 4th I'm not sure I'd have time. Would doing Hairless Joe from 418 RCAF even count? There's a scheme with invasion stripes, based at Hundson in 1944. May be a moot point since I wouldn't be able to paint it or the Corsair until the weather turns warm (which is should in time to finish the GB) since they're too big for the booth I have.

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 12.12.33 PM.png

I'd love to see it too !
It qualifies, as the Squadron were engaged on day and night intruder ops after D-Day.
I'd thought of resurrecting my 1/32nd scale Mossie FB.VI conversion, but there's too much work involved for the time-frame of the GB - and I'd need to find somewhere to put the finished model !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back