GB 30 'Post-War Warbirds' (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah that's what I assumed it would be. It would be nearly impossible to do anything if you had to find specific individual aircraft to do.

And thanks Andy, I may well have to take you up on that offer!

These will be mine, in order of appearance....a glitch has occurred.

1c.gif

Geo

Last edited:
Not sure your actual subject airframe had to have saw service, more the general type.

Eg, spitfire mk IX rather than spitfire Mk IX seriel number EN398 !

I'd be comfortable with late Mk's of existing types being included otherwise this might be a pretty low turn out.

Last edited:
I believe my glitch is solved. As can be seen by the serial number, the aircraft was built in '45. I couldn't find the serial number on Joe Baugher's site but 49385 was delivered, July 20 '45 and 49397 crashed June 18 '45. The aircraft was on duty at Wright Field in 1948

Capture.JPG

Geo

Yep, John's interpretation is fine by me too.
I agree that finding a specific aircraft for a subject would narrow the field a lot, but I had originally thought that the intention was to show particular types of WW2 aircraft in use post war, possibly in a different role (for example, a Catalina as a water bomber, or a WW2 aircraft on the air show circuit), or continuing service with an air force, possibly an air force from a country other than the one the type served with originally, as a representative type, and not necessarily a specific airframe or serial number.
If I'm able to enter something, then I've decided it will be 'The Grace Spitfire', the MkIX flown in 1944 by New Zealander Johnny Houlton, now flown in the UK as a two-seater, and this will be a surprise gift to my friend Max, who got a flight in, and was able to take control of this aircraft last June - lucky bar steward !!
Got to decide which kit to use to convert it to two-seat configuration, and that will depend on the actual moulding of the fuselage parts, to make it easier to cut and scratch-build. Probably use the Eduard kit, although the ICM kit would work too.

Yep, John's interpretation is fine by me too.
I agree that finding a specific aircraft for a subject would narrow the field a lot, but I had originally thought that the intention was to show particular types of WW2 aircraft in use post war, possibly in a different role (for example, a Catalina as a water bomber, or a WW2 aircraft on the air show circuit), or continuing service with an air force, possibly an air force from a country other than the one the type served with originally, as a representative type, and not necessarily a specific airframe or serial number.

+1

if I arrive on time as I said above would do this or that even this thought

fire%20eaters%20Always2_zpseq34cfdm.gif

invader-13-02_zpszsy0sd4d.gif
tanker98-01_zpsv3iw316s.gif

I would fail the conair 22 but the photos are not Internet and gives me that I have not placing

Yep, from what's been discussed so far, I'd agree that it would meet the build criteria.

That's a good choice Sergio. I'd actually thought of doing an Invader too, as I've always fancied a model of one, but it would mean buying yet another kit that I don't really need, and I'm really trying not to buy any more kits - apart form those needed to complete projects already planned.
I'd also thought of doing a post-war B-25J Mitchell, possibly from a 'foreign' air force, or one from the movie 'Hanover Street', but apart from the fact I'm building a Mitchell in the current GB, it would take up a lot of space in the cabinets, which are still waiting for extra shelves to be fitted.
And I've just remembered - a couple of years ago, I built a 'Buchon' from the BoB movie, and intended displaying this alongside a MkIX Spitfire, posing as a Mk.1, from the same movie, so if I have time and inclination, I might do two Spits for the GB !!

Yep, from what's been discussed so far, I'd agree that it would meet the build criteria.

That's a good choice Sergio. I'd actually thought of doing an Invader too, as I've always fancied a model of one, but it would mean buying yet another kit that I don't really need, and I'm really trying not to buy any more kits - apart form those needed to complete projects already planned.
I'd also thought of doing a post-war B-25J Mitchell, possibly from a 'foreign' air force, or one from the movie 'Hanover Street', but apart from the fact I'm building a Mitchell in the current GB, it would take up a lot of space in the cabinets, which are still waiting for extra shelves to be fitted.
And I've just remembered - a couple of years ago, I built a 'Buchon' from the BoB movie, and intended displaying this alongside a MkIX Spitfire, posing as a Mk.1, from the same movie, so if I have time and inclination, I might do two Spits for the GB !!
BoB movie MkIX is a great idea Dogsbody

Yep, and if I have to choose one, between that and the 'Grace Spitfire', it'll be the BoB movie bird. Easier and quicker to build, and it can be virtually OOB - which will make a really pleasant, and welcome change !!
I'll still do the 2 seat MkIX for Max at some stage though, probably when I've got that Stirling diorama commission out of the way - which has been on and off for about 18 months, due to hands not working, and / or terminal lethargy !!

image.jpg

Also have this one I picked up recently that would fit the bill, but I'm not sure I want to do a dark blue aircraft again so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day guys,

As originator of this GB idea, I should have thought of a clearer title!

I did originally intend this as a build to show what became (postwar) of aircraft that had served in WW II (no matter which theatre or function).
In New Zealand for example, the RNZAF operated ex-RAF Mozzies and USAAF Mustangs until the late 1950's, not to mention the multitude of RNZAF and civilian usage of WW II Avengers (crop dusters, target tugs), C-47s (crop dusting, civvy and military transport), Hudsons (SAR), Lodestars (crop dusting, transport), Tiger Moths and Austers (civvy recreational a/c), to name just a few types.
I was picturing Reno racers, museum examples, and airshow circuit warbirds aswell.

If the subject crieria seems too concise however, I agree we could open it up to the type generally, even if post-war production, or maybe even - if we want to REALLY open it up - make it any military aircraft post conflict, from WWI to modern day - as long as there is some change to it's function, markings or nationality...

What do yas think?

If we restrict to aircraft that actually served in WW2, I can see a whole series of debates starting about when a particular aircarft arrived on strength. Many WW2 "Types" continued to be manufactured after the war to serve various purposes and this allows more flexibility. I'm staying with my earlier endorsement and would draw the line at WW2 types, not opening things up to include WW1 to modern day.

I agree Andy, even my subject, though built late 44/early45 was placed in storage until sent to India so didnt really see any service in the RAF.

If we stick to actual ww2 service machines we might struggle for entries into this GB !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back