GB 30 'Post-War Warbirds'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't think they'd be considered to be WW2 types, but let's see what the other judges and members think.

To me, a WW2 type would be something like a Mustang or Lancaster, still in service or use after WW2, whereas the B-36, for example, would be in the same class as the Lincoln or Shackleton - on the drawing board, and maybe in prototype type form by the end of hostilities, but not really in the spirit of the GB. A Spitfire 22 or late Mustang such as the 'H', for example, are more WW2 types, recognisable as a Spit or Mustang, even though neither saw WW2 service.

I suppose a war weary B-25 that was redressed for the set of "Catch-22" would be perfectly acceptable, correct?

Or a P-51 Mustang or P-47 or P-38 or F5G as a racer for instance.

A link with a couple of nice shots.... and something for Jan there...

1947 National Air Races

13 Gimbel .jpg

Last edited:
How about the Avia S-199 as a post-war development of the Me 109? I don't have this kit but it is one that I have been mulling over. I think Glenn posted it too. I always thought the Israeli-badged Avia as an interesting and ironic subject.

Hm. Maybe a bit marginal, but it is basically a '109, as is the 'Buchon', so probably acceptable. OK by me if the other judges also agree.

As for the B-25, it's a perfect example of movie or airshow aircraft from WW2 - I'd actually thought of doing a B-25J from the movie 'Hanover Street', filmed at Bovingdon, UK, a place I know well, and where 'The War Lover', '633 Squadron, 'Mosquito Squadron' and a few other movies and TV series were filmed.
This movie might not be that familiar to US audiences, but it starred Harrison Ford, Christopher Plummer and Lesley Anne Down. More a love story with the common theme of two men, one woman (rather like 'The War Lover' in some respects), but some good flying sequences with the B-25s and, as with 'Catch 22', there are decals available for all of the Mitchells that appeared in the movie.
But as I'm doing a Mitchell for the current GB, if I'm able to find the time to enter, I'll be doing a Spitfire (or perhaps a Hurricane) from the BoB movie - unless I decide to re-build a partly finished Mosquito from 20+ years ago, as a machine from '633 Squadron' !

Thanks for the clarification guys! Is the Buchon the 109 modification that was used in the BoB movie?

Yep, Spanish built, by Hispano, with a Rolls Royce 'Merlin' engine, which gave it the deep 'chin' cowling from which it got its nickname - 'Buchon' being a type of pigeon.
In brief, the original 'Spanish' '109s were G-2 and G-6, sent to Spain in kit form, and then built under licence. With the lack of DB engines post war, Hispano had to turn to RR for a power plant.
For the BoB movie, Hamish Mahadie collected and / or leased around 22 Buchons from the Spanish Air Force, which were modified as far as possible to resemble '109Es, having the wings 'clipped' and tail struts fitted. Dummy wing 'cannons' were fitted for the movie, deliberately over-sized, so that they would be visible 'on screen' and help identify German from RAF for the benefit of the layman viewer.
Flash strobes were tried at one point, to simulate the flash of gun fire, but were not used in the final filming.
According to Commandante Santacruz, the adviser and chief pilot on the movie, from the Spanish Air Force, the clipped wing tips really improved the handling, and he wished they done it when the type was still in service !

Maybe a Korean Yak-9P ? ...

yak9P.jpg

yak9P_4.jpg

yak9P_1.jpg

yak9P_2.jpg

yak9P_3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back