GB 30 'Post-War Warbirds' (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Agree with Terry re the Avia S-199. Under the modified build clarification I think any postwar production of a wartime type should be acceptable: eg., Lisunov Li-2 (license built DC-3), Bell X-5 (Me P.1101 copy), Avia S-92 (Me 262), etc...

I'm doubtful for this GB. A postwar Mosquito PR35 in Spartan Air Service colours would seem an obvious choice for me though, given that I'm involved in the restoration of this very bird.

View attachment 340964

Is this the one that was at Kapuskasing ONT in the late 60's?

If so it was in very good condition then and the owner was hoping to rebuild - can't remember his name though - Campbell??

CF-HMS was a PR35 serial number RS700. It was purchased from Spartan by Lynn Garrison in 1963 for the Air Museum of Canada and moved to Calgary where it stayed, except for a brief stint at Cold Lake.

I'd have to do a bit of research on what the fate was of the one you are referring to but am short of time at the moment.

Last edited:
That NK Yak-9P is very interesting. Could be a candidate for the next GB as well!

Is this the one that was at Kapuskasing ONT in the late 60's?

If so it was in very good condition then and the owner was hoping to rebuild - can't remember his name though - Campbell??

OK got it. The one you are referring to was CF-HML, bought from Spartan by Don Campbell in 1966 and then used at Kap to train air cadets on aircraft maintenance. This Mossie then went to Ed Zaleski and then Bob Jens who contracted Victoria Air Maintenance to make it airworthy. It's now one of only two airworthy Mosquitos, flying out of Victoria BC in the colours of 'F for Freddie'.

I'm doubtful about the Twin Mustang. Although yes, it's a development of the WW2 aircraft, it bears little resemblance to an 'ordinary' Mustang, apart from the two fuselages flying in close formation.
However, if the majority agree it's acceptable, then that's fine by me.

If you ask my opinion (which no one did) I kinda got the idea that the spirit of the build was of an old war weary airframe getting restored for a museum or air show circuit, getting sent off second hand to an ANG unit or third world Air Force, being dressed up as a movie prop, used as some post war hack or testbed, post war civilian use, etc, not as a development of a war proven aircraft. But like I said, nobody asked for my opinion, and it's not my show to run.

Not a decision-maker here either but I think the Twin Mustang fits the revised requirements of post-war WWII types. If not, the F-82 could qualify for the next GB since it served in the Korean conflict. I think this GB a nice opportunity to squeeze in some unique planes that were developed between the end of WW2 and the Korean War.

Just to clarify my question, I was just wondering.

Unfortunately I don't have time to actually build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back