GB 30 'Post-War Warbirds'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I personally think the actual type should have been operated in the war, including the version. I don't think the individual airframe should have to have operated since so many aircraft went surplus.

Some examples: An F4U-4 with a South American air force should count, an F4U-5 should not. P-51D should count, F-82 should not.

Therefore I have had the doubt about theTwin Mustang. The main idea of the GB is here... "GB 30-'Post-War Warbirds' Given a New Lease Of Life.
Civilian and military use of WWII types after 1945"

Now all of this conversing has me doubting the validity of my wanting to do a Seafire XV. Would it count or was it just too late? I know it served in the Pacific fleet but it may have been immediately after the war ended, I'm not sure.

Why not adopt the more liberal definition of WW2 types (including post-war developments thereof) and get more builds? That would encompass the original intention of "Warbirds Given a New Lease on Life" as well as including some other interesting models that were developed after the war.

A firm decision needs to be made now, before the GB starts, and members prepare their kits and reference material. Otherwise, we'll still be discussing this part way through the GB !
Personally, I agree with Cory and Wojtek - opening up the GB to developments of WW2 types, for example, the Twin Mustang, would be in danger of stretching the parameters even further.
I suggest we stick with WW2 types - those that are immediately recognisable as a type which served in WW2, that is, same shape overall, be it a later Seafire, for example, or even a Mustang or Corsair built after the war ended.
The original brief for the GB, for aircraft types which served in WW2, given a new lease of life, be it in a foreign air force, for movie use, as a civilian transport, sport plane, tanker etc, or on the air show circuit, covers a vast array of possibilities, and allows for a good variety of models.
Maybe the Judges should now decide, as a final to the discussion.
I vote for the description above, other Judges please 'chip in'.

Terry's description is consistent with the one I previously agreed to that was provided by John. Are we going in circles? The only difference is whether, or not, the Twin Mustang falls outside of the boundaries of this definition. To me, bolting two Mustangs together still falls within the spirit of this GB and so I felt that it should be allowed. So, we have Terry and Wojtek saying it's out, me saying it's in and Wayne saying......?

Well, A Mustang given a new lease of life could be a twin mustang..it might be stretching a bit but it's still a Mustang....if it quacks like a duck....

I think the description we all went with initially was as John mentioned in looking to expand the parameters of the GB most of what has been thrown on the table after Johns comments (and essentially agreed upon) have met what we thought would be fair.
Mustangs, Spitfires, Corsairs...if the basic airframe/design/model, call it what you may, is improved upon isn't this in some way providing a new lease of life to that airframe/design/model?

Yes, I think we agreed on that. As to the Twin Mustang, we have 2 judges for, 2 against. As a tie breaker I suggest we recognize the several other members who agreed that it should be allowed and move on.

Looking forward to the start of the GB! Even though I'm in the middle of my Dora, I'll probably get the Spitfire 22/24 going. It comes with an Aires resin cockpit, which probably means... headaches for me!

It's not too bad, but used to be better. Beer is good though, and with a bit of luck it'll have a new manager soon, one who used to run the pub opposite me, now closed down.
I'll get you a pint or two next time I go - Oh, but that means I'll have to drink them for you - what a shame !!

OK got it. The one you are referring to was CF-HML, bought from Spartan by Don Campbell in 1966 and then used at Kap to train air cadets on aircraft maintenance. This Mossie then went to Ed Zaleski and then Bob Jens who contracted Victoria Air Maintenance to make it airworthy. It's now one of only two airworthy Mosquitos, flying out of Victoria BC in the colours of 'F for Freddie'.

Fantastic
What is the history on the one you are working on?

The only other one I saw in Canada in the 60s was in western BC - cant remember the town but the aircraft had blown an engine on take-off and then been abandoned - scavengers had removed most of it.

I was in NZ a few weeks ago and saw the several there undergoing restoration to airworthy - one is superficially complete and one fuselage was fairly fresh from the molds as well as one "dead" original. I will try and find if I have any remaining photos (my !@#$% computer was destroyed while doing a backup to EHD - the "flash/bang" when the power supply failed was bright and deafening - motherboard and drives cactus but some files recovered - second time in two years).

Mi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back