GB-37 1/48 Hawker Hurricane I - Helicopters / Military a/c of BoB 1940

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello,
Just to say I noticed that I can't finish this model... :(
To make 40" code letters, I thought to use 48" RAF code letters cutting them but finally, it will be too wide compared to the height.
And to be honnest, I don't want to try to make masks with masking tape for this...
Any advice/help please ?
Now, I'm going back to work on the other :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It sounds like you have the larger decals. What if you scanned the sheet and reduced the file with a photo editor and printed it on clear decal paper?

Also, I personally would not rule out masking.

101023 DWO Mask Decal Template.jpg

101023 DWO Mask Cut.jpg
101025 DWO Right.jpg

You could do as Andy suggests, and print the decals onto clear decal sheet. However, when applied, they will lose density, and look very dark and 'thin'. Applying further decals over the top might work, but again, density might not be good, and also the layers might show under the final clear coat.
Personally, I would 'reverse mask', painting the fuselage in Medium Sea Grey, then applying tape masks for the letters, and then spraying the camouflage over the top.
The pics below show home made decals on clear sheet, and how they looked once applied. These were eventually over-painted using enamel Medium Sea Grey.
The second set show the Spitfire in MSG, with the masks applied using strips of Tamiya tape, and how the letters looked after painting the model and removing the tape..

BoB Hurri build 110.jpg
BoB Hurri build 109.jpg
Bob Cross Spit V 088.jpg
Bob Cross Spit V 095.jpg

Hello,

I succeed to cut out the letter codes, here are the "masks" I made, ready to put and paint in MSG.
DSCN3871.JPG
I chose to make letter codes in about 40" high to get this result (photos below (sources: internet)
Hurricane I, 32 sqn, N2458(H) & N2459(C), 29 juillet 1940_1.JPG Hurricane I, 32 Sqn, Nxxxx, Aout 1940.JPG Hurricane I, 32 sqn, P2921(L) & N2532(H) av. 20 juillet 1940.jpg

1st photo: N2458(H) & N2459(C) on 29 July 1940
2nd photo: dated August 1940, serial and letter code not known but this aircraft is very probably from N--- series (5 spoke wheels hubs and De Havilland propeller/spinner)
3rd photo: N2532(H) and P2921(L) before 20 July 1940. N2532 was destroyed at this date in a crash-landing, Sqn Ldr John Worrall at the commandes)...
I decided also to put the letter code of N2461 to read FoGZ (not GZoF) on starboard side, like 3rd photo.
:)

Last edited:
I agree, the masks look good and should work fine.
Note that the third photo shows the three Hurricane replicas currently at the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge, and is not a WW2 photo.

Note that the third photo shows the three Hurricane replicas currently at the Kent Battle of Britain Museum at Hawkinge, and is not a WW2 photo.

Damn ! I didn't know that !!! I wondered about the spinner of the aircraft in the left and now I know why this spinner is here !!! :eek:
Can that mean it's more likely GZoF (and not FoGZ) to starboard, like GZoH(?) and GZoV below ?

Hurricane I, 32 Sqn, fin juillet 1940'.jpg Hurricane I, 32 Sqn, P3522, av. 15 aout 1940.jpg

Yes, it appears that most, if not all Squadrons at that time, presented the codes in the same format each side, that is, 'correct reading', with the Squadron code first, and the individual code letter after the roundel, so it would be GZ - F on the starboard side.

Hello,

Decals and letter codes done :)
DSCN3872.JPG
DSCN3873.JPG
DSCN3874.JPG

Nothing at all on the undersides, we are in July, early August 1940 :)
I have to apply a coat of gloss varnish (Klir in France, or Future in other Countries)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back