GB-40 1/48 Consolidated B-24D - Heavy Hitters III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Donivanp

Captain
Feb 23, 2014
Katy Texas
1/48 Consolidated B-24D
Username : donivanp
First name : Don
Category : intermediate
Scale : 1/48
Manufacturer / Model : Revell of Germany (Monogram)
Extras : I have every intention of doing an SOB of the kit box art B-24D-25-CO 41-24225 Flak Alley.

The B-24 was produced in grater numbers then any other bomber in WWII, thanks in large part to Henry Ford and the Willow Run facility, but I won't get into that. I came along after it more famous heavy, the B-17 and could fly further and with a greater payload, faster but not at the same altitudes that the Fortress could reach. In a Rodney Dangerfield way, she "got no respect". I've read where Gen Jimmy Doolittle hated them and did not want any in hid command. They were not capable of absorbing the kind of battle damage that the Fortress could take and their ditching capabilities were closer to a submarine then a boat due in large part to the roll up bomb doors.

BUT that all being said! There are two words that describe the Liberator, that give it its legacy. TIDAL WAVE! 1 August 1943, Ploiesti Romania, volumes have been written about this.

Flak Alley a B-24D-25-CO tail number 41-24225 was part of that historic mission. She flew, hit the target and got her crew back home safe and sound. She meant her her demise on 2 February 1944, over Gotha, Germany. The markings in the kit are from later in her life but I will use them as is. From what I can tell, the nose are was on both sides though the kit only gives the left side but I will use the kit's markings.

20181126_160139.jpg
media-14533.jpeg
media-14534.jpeg
media-14535.jpeg
media-14536.jpeg

Good one Don.
Hope you've got plenty of room, what with this and the B-29 !
I'd considered doing either a 1/48th Lanc or a B-24H, but just don't have space yet !

It's a good choice Don (now you have a couple of monsters in the workbench), I recently did the same Revell kit, I enjoyed and learned a lot from the B-24 (first big bomber that was built in production line)

It will be very interesting to see your process.

Saludos :thumbup:

Accurate Flak Alley markings (including the nose art for both sides) have just become available from PYN-up Decals, which are available on the FineArtOfDecals.com website.

Accurate Flak Alley markings (including the nose art for both sides) have just become available from PYN-up Decals, which are available on the FineArtOfDecals.com website.
Yes I know, and I am a POOOOOOOR man. I get my emails from Dave Klaus all the time and have reviewed them. If I can afford them later I'll drop the dime but that's a huge if!
I just ran the numbers and I need the Tidal Wave one and the US insignias part two, I'm out $48.94 to buy them. That's out of my league.
PYND48045coverdecalcombo.png

Last edited:
Great choice Don, and I'm sure your right about Doolittle. My father personally blamed him for his transfer from the 8th to the 15th AF going from living in a nice warm quanset hut to a cold drafty tent when all the 24s went to Italy.

Back in March 2009, Collings foundation brought in their B-24J and B-17G, as well as their 2 seat P-51C to Sugarland airport. I know it's a J but at this point a B-24 is a B-24 for the purposes of having a view. So here is a bit of a walk around.
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 001.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 002.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 003.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 004.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 005.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 006.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 007.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 008.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 009.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 010.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 011.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 012.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 013.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 014.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 015.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 016.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 017.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 018.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 019.jpg
Collins Foundation 7&8 march 09 020.jpg

The B-24D had several mod's done to it during it's production life. Most notable to myself would be the ventral gun emplacement. Originally there was a single .50 M2 machine gun firing out the aft crew entry hatch. Later the Bendex remote control turret with twin .50's was installed, but like the same mounting on the B-17E, it caused the gunners to get sick when using the periscope sighting system. The Bendex system was discontinued after only 287 were produced and they went back to the single gun placement. Starting with 42-41164 the Sperry ball turret (the same as on the B-17F) was installed, but unlike the B-17, it was retractable.

The Monogram kit depicts the production version post Bendex and pre Sperry. This is correct for the aircraft of the August 1943 Ploesti mission. If you have a Monogram B-24J, you could convert it to a late model B-24D, or even more likely the ball turret from a B-17F or G and most of the rest is in the D model kit. All the mounting and retraction mechanism is in the D but you would have to hollow out the floor which depicts the fairing over of the bendex mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back