GB-43 1/48 Mosquito FB.VI - Aces' Aircraft of all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.

With the fuselage curing, I turned elsewhere and decided to tackle one of the fiddly undercarriage structures.

I don't like that Tamiya designed these parts such that you are forced to clamp the wheel into the struts. The moulded axle traps the wheel making it necessary to paint everything before assembly.

19102501.jpg

The mudguard got a little more real by thinning the supports (they were just sheet aluminum in reality) and drilling lightening holes. Here one side has received the treatment.

19102502.jpg

Here's the assembled structure. The plastic axle was cut off and the pillow block was drilled out to receive a 1/16" brass rod, shown here loosely fitted. Once the glue has set on all this, the axle will be pulled out for later installation with the wheel,

19102503.jpg

Thanks again for watching.

Ah, you mean "Oh Dear !" .................... or perhaps a wrongly translated old Anglo Saxon version.

Thanks Wojtek.

One question I need help with now that the fuselage is together concerns the fuselage mounted camera. My copy of the F.B. VI manual shows an F24 camera mounted in the mid rear section with a mirror attachment:

Capture.JPG

Questions:

1) Is this mirror fixed or operable from the cockpit? There's nothing in the manual saying it's controlled remotely
2) I've seen no photographic evidence thus far of this mirror protruding from the bottom of a Mosquito, especially in 418 squadron
3) Every pic I have of FB VI's from the underside shows no evidence of a camera opening of ANY kind. This includes the clear glazing as provided by Tamiya

Any thoughts on what I should portray here?

I tried finding further details for my FB.VI build, with little luck.
I have seen pics of the camera port, but the mirror was not protruding, so I guess it was internal, angled to obtain a 'strike photo' to the rear, unless it was retractable, with the camera port window / cover, but that's doubtful, and I haven't seen or heard any evidence of this.
Certainly 2 Group Mossies had the camera, used on low-level attacks, as evidenced by all the pics of attacks such as Amiens, Aarhus etc, and info received from former crews, but whether or not this was used on other units, I don't know. It wouldn't be required on Intruder or Night Fighter aircraft, so the port would likely be omitted.
I know it was definitely fitted to the Mossies on the Shell House attack, as the camera circuit was accidentally wired into the same circuit as the wing drop tanks. When the tank were jetiissoned over the Danish coast, the cameras started running, exposing all the film well before reaching Copenhagen !

Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning toward no camera at all as all underside pics seen so far of FB VI's so far show none, not even the clear panel.

It's highly likely that the camera was only fitted to those units engaged in low-level operations, possibly even unique to 140 Wing, and as the camera wouldn't be of much use at other altitudes, it would be rather pointless having it fitted.
Although I have seen a couple of underside shots where the camera port is clearly visible, the majority of pics show a 'clean' under surface, although it's possible that the hatch was present (without the window), but not visible, either due to the smooth finish, or possibly sealed, and the providion made to fit a camera if required.
For you subject, I'd go without the camera and port.

Been crazy busy with attempts to get our Hurricane's engine started and then have it delivered and rolled out to the public. Engine start was not successful though we know the cause and need to take a part off and ship it to California for overhaul.

A bit of bench time in the meantime allowed me to do this:

19111001.jpg

Tamiya's firewall is one part short of nothing so I'm building them up with card. Left is how the kit is provided and right is the start of the build up. Yet to be added are oil lines and various hydraulic lines.

Absolutely no hope of finishing this build on time as I will be heading to Ontario in 4 days for a wedding and a visit to the national archives in Ottawa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back