GB-44 1/48 CF-104D - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seat pan done and in place.

IMG_0003.JPG

Set back on the instrument panels. I wanted to use the kit decals as they look pretty spiffy...

IMG_0004.JPG

There is a pretty big step between the upper and lower section so I separated the decal. The bottom section folded up on the right and the bottom and no amount of persuasion would straighten it out. I am now going to paint in the black. As can be noticed by the opening on the left, I've used the front left cockpit console decal and have hit it with Poly Scale Solvent as it is fairly stiff. I hope this isn't a harbinger of the rest of the kit decals

Thanks guys. Bypassing Step 3 for now we move onto Step 4; the main gear wheel well. Tack glued in spots, I then placed it into the fuselage half to make sure everything lined up and then permanently glued it all together. The world famous pain in the keester grommets were then put in place on the back side of the well and the equally pain in the keester keepers(?) were then glued in place. The rear bulkhead is preventing a perfect fit by about ½mm so I'm slowly sanding this down and test fitting

1573932405821.png

:hello2: Retreating back to Step 3 with never to be seen without a flashlight after-burner and flame-holder.

IMG_0007.JPG

I was going to remove the little blemish (1) but a closer look at the instructions shows it not to be a blemish (2)

IMG_0009.JPG

A test fit of the assembly showed a hmmmm moment. Ignore the attachment points as they aren't part of the issue

IMG_0010.JPG

Turns out the problem was the locater holes....too shallow.

IMG_0011.JPG

A few twists of the drill....

IMG_0012.JPG

The only reason I'm fretting about this is, if left alone, it may compromise the fuselage seams

Innards before closing up, burner can just posing for the photo op....

1574012571498.png

....almost. The instrument panels sit too high. The cockpit is sitting correctly on the alignment rails so that isn't the problem. I checked Andy's build and while he took a different approach, I can mount mine as it sits now. The problem is a ledge on the back of the IPs. They are supposed to fit under the lips behind the front seat and at the front of the cockpit; mine sit flush with the lip. I took a knife and removed the necessary amount from the IP ledge and they slid into place. A test fit of the rear shroud over the IP showed a great fit. The front shroud however stood proud. This was caused by two 1mm nubs at the rear of the shroud. I assumed that they hooked over the lip at the front but they were 1mm short of the lip. I was debating whether to sand down the IP so it would fit under or remove the nubs. While in debations I glanced at the instructions and there in all its glory was the front shroud with a hobby knife showing me to remove the nubs. Done, the shroud snugged down over the IP. Sometimes the instruction are a good thing.

1574014039552.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back