GB-44 1/48 MiG-21 PFM - Military A/C of post-war time

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm using their newer and bigger bottles of metallic paint on my -104s

One of these?

metal-color-vallejo-duraluminum-77702.jpg

Looking at the interior....it says Gunze H308/C308, which seems to be equivalent to Vallejo Air 71.050....

model-air-vallejo-light-grey-71050.jpg

....or is this one a closer match?

model-air-vallejo-russian-af-grey-blue-71338.jpg

....or is that one for the exterior of the aircraft?

Which is the best color (of Vallejo), as I understand the MiG-21's were painted 'silver', right?
....or is my memory doing a number on me, again? 😆😂

Yes and no. Jan. The brand new delivered kites were of the NMF with the gloss clear coat applied. Therefore the metal was getting the matt greyish tone in time. The longer the plane was using the darker greyish matt tone. Then these planes were sent for their overhauls where these were painted silver overall. Depending on the overhaul time the silver paint had the different formula. I remember that many of MiGs were painted with the paint that looked like a white-silver colour what made the almost frosted appearance when watching close up. Because you are going to replicate the 6913 at her early service she should be of the NMF with the gloss clear coat. In the case , there could be panels of different tones.

IMHO all of them can be used. Just it depends on how much worn plane skin you want to get. Using of the silver colour is a kind of a simplification. It should be kept in mind that there are modellers both young and old who don't carry of the final effect. For those who want to get something more than the next sugary model of a plane, using paints of different tones becomes the necessity.

Jan, because you want to use the Eduard PE set for the cockpit you have to use the paint that consorts with the PE colour. In the case the PE parts are the chip of your colour.

Regarding the silver paint ... I would follow the duraluminium , white aluminium, aluminium and dark aluminium. Also some of steel/ burnt steel and burnt metal ( jet exhaust).

Sitting here looking for a suitable grey for the cockpit....it says:

IMG_20191208_161043.jpg

....in the Vietnam edition of the MiG-21, which looks like this:

IMG_20191208_161219.jpg

....after some sniffing around the lamp post, it said that the Vallejo 71.046
was the best match, great I thought, I've got a few bottles of that one!
....needless to say, not even close, way too bright!

IMG_20191208_161121.jpg

Does anyone here know if the H308 is a good match to the PE panels,
or should I just try and whip something up? Pick and mix, mix and match!
Sometimes, I do wish that Eduard put their IP's on clear decal paper,
like Hasegawa, Revell and others....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back