GB-46 1:48 Il-2m3 - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Geo. I like doing that to break up large surface areas. More to come later this weekend hopefully. Weather forecast calls for smoke blown up from the US to settle in on Sunday so may be a good day to stay down in the dungeon.

Hi guys, thanks for watching.

I tried to make a start on the upper camo today. First off was the diagonal stripe on the tail, the colour of which Massimo Tessitori speculates could be red, blue, or even orange (see here: Il-2M3 (two-seater, arrow wing)). The decal sheet provided with the kit has yellow stripes but I decided to go with orange per the profile by Massimo as it's not often we get to use that colour. So I went ahead and mixed up some yellow and red and splashed it onto the fin.

20091301.jpg

Now, here's where I ran into challenges. I'm trying to mix up some Tamiya paints to come up with the AMT-1 sandy grey colour. There is only one mix I found on the net (XF59:6 + XF64:2 + XF2:1) but that turns out way too yellowy brown. I'm trying to get the light colour in the below profile which, according to this discussion. would be something close to FS26306. However, after three tries, I've not yet managed to get something close.

1600045470002.png

I will keep trying and will report back when I get there but, in the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions, Id be happy to hear.

Also you may give a try to the AK-Interactive RC 313 AMT-1 Light Brown colour.

I darkened the AMT-1 mix and lightened the AMT-7 green slightly, then completed the AMT-12 grey. The AMT-1 colour still looks a bit on the light side but I think I'll leave it now. Trying to match colours to a computer screen is HARD!

20091701.jpg

Some touch-ups still needed. Thanks for looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back