GB-46 1:72 AS.51 Horsa Mk.1 - WW2 Eastern Front / Twin Engine A/C, Transports and Gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice one Chris, and yours will probably be better than mine!

No chance mate, i reckon I should have put myself back in the beginner category it's been that long.

Winner, winner, look what dropped through the post today. Will update first post with more details this evening 👌🏻

598D1177-5604-46FE-81C2-2425AB5003E1.jpeg

EDAF64E1-0D7A-4150-BF6C-72F04B1FC4C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn't know that was available !
Of course you should use it.
The exact locations of all three gliders at the bridge, are marked with stone markers at the site today, and boy, did they get close !

Terry, could you help me out if you can please?
I've found this picture here of Glider 4 (Credit THE MEN IN GLIDERS - Pegasus Bridge and Horsa Bridge)

View attachment 580200

I've never been near the bridges myself but what is that in the background?

It's clearly not "thee" bridge and I can't find an overhead shot showing the landing place of Glider 4.

Actually despite what the box say, I've just found now that Glider 4 was targeting the Horsa, River Orne bridge (but didn't actually land there).

Last edited:
Not sure if that's glider 6, with the Dives bridge in the background - or it may be 'Horsa' bridge, over the Orne, about 100 yards from Pegasus bridge (Benouville bridge) over the Caen canal., which is the 'swing' bridge with the overhead control cabin, as depicted in the model kit.
Five gliders landed at the Orne and canal with, from memory, three of them very close to Pegasus bridge, and at least one less than 50 yards from the Orne bridge.
I have an artists impression of the event in a book somewhere - if it's reasonable, and not too big to scan, I'll post it here.
There are a couple of videos around, possibly on U tube, that show the bridges today, along with archive footage, and the markers showing where the gliders landed.

I almost did a diorama when the Italeri kit was first released, quite some time back. But, as I would have had to scratch-build the bridge, and with three gliders, the overall size required sort of snubbed the idea !

Here's the artwork I mentioned. Apologies for the poor quality - pushing it flat on the scanner, with a double-page spread, would have damaged the spine of the book. This from "Great Battles of World War II", by John Macdonald (1986), with artwork ny Harry Clow.
In this view, the gliders are in the actual locations where they landed, and the bridge over the Orne (Horsa bridge, as it was later named) is out of picture, off to the right. The numbers relate to the description, giving the times and sequence of the landings and subsequent events, and if you think these would be of interest, I'll try to get them scanned, or at least written out.
The other pic is a view into the Horsa cockpit at the DH Museum.

Pegasus bridge 001.jpg
Horsa cpit.jpg

I almost did a diorama when the Italeri kit was first released, quite some time back. But, as I would have had to scratch-build the bridge, and with three gliders, the overall size required sort of snubbed the idea !

That's my only worry as well. I've got absolutely nowhere to put it. Let's see, there may be room in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back